Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > SXC strikes again!

SXC strikes again!

1. jimdaly981 March 2010, 16:15 GMT +01:00

Presumably because of a complaint from one of the users/uploaders, some of the topics in the SXC general chat forum have been locked with something like

"As this has long deviated from the original intent:

"5...

or more...

or less..."

it is being closed."

Remind me, someone, just what harm these threads were doing. I'm afraid it's slipped my mind.

74. stevek4 March 2010, 14:19 GMT +01:00

Thanks guys, I've uploaded a couple just to get me started, but the idea of moving everything across one at a time fills me with dread.

75. crisderaud4 March 2010, 14:51 GMT +01:00

Hi Steve. Would it help you to know that the import tool doesn't move your gallery over but instead copies it to this site. You sxc images remain intact at sxc.

76. stevek4 March 2010, 15:04 GMT +01:00

I'm happy to move them all across the easiest way possible. I've used SXC for over 5 years now and i'm not impressed with the way it's gone in the last year. Once all my shots are here i'll probably delete them from SXC. This site feels the way SXC used to when I first joined and I can't wait to see it grow and grow.

77. johnnyberg4 March 2010, 15:32 GMT +01:00

#72 - if they did, then I am very happy that I just moved mine yesterday :-)

78. crisderaud4 March 2010, 15:36 GMT +01:00

Jay says he tested it and it's working.

79. stevek4 March 2010, 15:40 GMT +01:00

It must be something to do with my work computer stopping me. I'll try it from home later on.

80. jimdaly984 March 2010, 17:24 GMT +01:00

@67 I think he's had the 'personality bypass'. already. It's actually a transplant that's required, but they can't find a donor anywhere within the Getty organisation. Unfortunate.

81. dlritter4 March 2010, 19:52 GMT +01:00

It is important to remember that for the import script to work correctly you must leave the page running the script open the entire time it is working.

If you close the page or quit your web browser the script will stop.

82. lennie4 March 2010, 20:38 GMT +01:00

I've checked a few more things, I know why it doesn't work. At work stevek uses Internet Explorer 6 and the buttons and input-fields aren't visible in IE6.

So that does explain it. It doesn't currently work with IE6.

Of all the browsers we need to support IE6 is the one that takes up the most work to support and thus is also not very well supported on this site (and on many other sites).

83. fishmonk4 March 2010, 21:10 GMT +01:00

Steve it's a real time saver - I suggest just logging on at another computer were you should see the upload page. I am uploading one at a time & it's very time consuming...

84. lennie4 March 2010, 22:15 GMT +01:00

Even better, upgrade IE to 8 or install an other. like Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, maybe Safari. IE6 has a bad trackrecord, Google and other webdevelopers are starting consider it 'dead' technology now:

http://ie6funeral.com/

It's slow, insecure and does not know how to handle webstandards, not even the old ones.

85. xymonau5 March 2010, 3:33 GMT +01:00

I was particularly touched by Jay's farewell speech at sxc. If you think that rsylvan doesn't read this forum, read his response. He knows who is doing what. Naturally, the topic was locked.
http://www.sxc.hu/forums/topic/17183

86. krayker5 March 2010, 3:54 GMT +01:00

Quite frankly, I'd want RGB to be about RGB, no references to elsewhere. I know its been years of toil at the other place, I'ts best that we start off on a clean slate. I obviously cannot talk or opine for you, but, hey we have a new place !

..and we have had a great launch now, and we'll touch 50k images shortly. we'd look a little silly if we continue to vent our anger.

87. xymonau5 March 2010, 5:05 GMT +01:00

K, I agree to a point, but if we have to bite our tongues here, then it is no better than elsewhere. I was being circumspect until I was banned, but where else can I vent my feelings? I do not want to tread on eggshells in the way we had to previously, and while it might not be mature, it's okay to feel upset, annoyed and angry here. We won't go on about it forever, but right now there has been some activity, and we are commenting. I take on board what you are saying. But my wounds are fresh.

88. krayker5 March 2010, 5:34 GMT +01:00

Yeah, I know, that's why i held back for quite sometime :)
For you, it is years of time devoted to a place. I would not know, and I can't judge for you, I was there @ SXC mostly as a silent observer and of late had got busy with work and life, so, initially, I dint even notice there was this slide in affairs. I bet that's happening with a lot of people right about now, who were contributors, but dormant in the forums.

89. weirdvis5 March 2010, 8:02 GMT +01:00

Thanks Jay for saying what many of us have been thinking for months.

There are now more locks than live threads on that forum page. I wonder if we'll see a full house? Seems likely at this rate.

90. happyture5 March 2010, 15:10 GMT +01:00

Well, I still like it there, feels kinda homely with all them locks,,, Solitary confinement, But i enjoy my own company....

91. krayker5 March 2010, 15:25 GMT +01:00

:P

92. dragonariaes5 March 2010, 22:23 GMT +01:00

I like how he uses the excuse that we were throwing temper tantrums in the threads. "I win, you lose" doesn't sound like much of a temper tantrum to me, nor do any of the " I am leaving, here is where I can be found" threads...
I wonder how long it will take for all of the locked threads to move off of the first page.

93. dlritter6 March 2010, 1:09 GMT +01:00

I'm pretty sure they are going to dump the current forum structure fairly soon.

94. lennie6 March 2010, 2:30 GMT +01:00

Just to keep you folks up to date, I noticed stevek did his import. So he probably found an other browser somewhere. :-)

95. krayker6 March 2010, 4:38 GMT +01:00

@93, yeah, at this rate do they need a forum at all ?

96. crisderaud6 March 2010, 5:48 GMT +01:00

They need someplace to post the complaints. They don't answer the contact forms.

97. xymonau6 March 2010, 10:26 GMT +01:00

I have had a deep think about things today, and I went through this topic and took the blatant insults out of the posts. I don't want to be like that, and I apologise for being so nasty while I was upset. That's not an excuse, and I would prefer to be in control and pleasant, even to people who dislike me. This is not in response to anyone here. It is because of personal conviction. I don't think I have altered the meanings of the responses, except for one of Jim's, and he doesn't count because he is always mean to me. :P

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera