Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > What Other Images Do We Need?

What Other Images Do We Need?

1. xymonau7 April 2010, 1:03 GMT +02:00

Cris discovered our bagel deficiency. What else is missing in our galleries? If you find a glaring absence of a common stock theme, post it here. If you can supply the image, do so. If you can't, then others may be able to. We want to have the best range of stock images on RGB so people can feel confident they will find what they are looking for. If you are the one to provide missing images, you will benefit by the downloads and exposure of your talent.

2. jonfletch7 April 2010, 2:19 GMT +02:00

Good idea Dez.

There are probably lots of 'obvious' things like the bagels that are missing.

Would it be an idea to have a request facility for downloaders? If, for instance, a downloader had typed in Bagel a few days ago, no images would have been found. A facility to make a request that gets put onto a list somewhere might be useful?

I know there is the recent search facility on the home page, but it obviously changes quite quickly and also the keywords used don't often accurately portray exactly what they are looking for. Just an idea.

By the way, I hate bagels too, horrible cardboard like things!

3. xymonau7 April 2010, 5:17 GMT +02:00

LOL! Please tell me you also hate fresh coriander (cilantro). Then you will be my friend forever!

Good idea, but not many people will make requests. Usually they will look, and if they find nothing, move on. I'll see if that can be arranged.

4. crisderaud7 April 2010, 5:58 GMT +02:00

There are lots of things that are always in demand. One shouldn't worry about having similar pictures because we'll need a variety to choose from in the different subjects done in unique styles. Pasta, sandwiches ,cheese and wine are some food classics.

Green grass and blue sky is never out of style. isolated objects on white of all common things have universal appeal in composites and montages. Some people like the natural shadows of objects on white paper and many want to just select the white with the magic wand tool to isolate it without the shadow.

Things with a blue sky backgrounds are popular as well as blue skies with puffy clouds.

People doing their jobs in work environments are immensely popular. Nurses, bosses, engineers, managers, supervisors and so forth in both white collar and blue collar environments. Young adults in college or in training environments are popular.

People doing routine tasks are popular too. Typing, cooking, reading, talking, on the phone, etc. They are more challenging shots too as you have to work with the people to get the shot, the model release and try to keep product logos or other copyright materials out of the shot.

I am certain there are statistics kept on paid sites for what subjects are in demand most often, but we don't have the benefit of those statistics but we do know from our experience working with stock images what gets attention, downloads and complements.

We can build a list by adding to this post of what kind of images we are keen on. The download numbers are not high enough yet to be an effective indicator of what people want but the downloads will increase as the site continues to gain popularity.

Anyone who knows what has been popular for them in the past are invited to add to this list. For myself, I always have done well with textures and picture frames. I take great care and pride in making the best I can offer.Paper has always been popular for me too and I don't think we have near enough of different kinds of papers new and old.

That's the suggestions I have for now. We'll be looking forward to hearing what you suggest.

As for the bagels, they are kind of chewy and tough and when I go to the restaurant I prefer American style English muffins, wheat toast or flour tortillas. My favorite Mexican restaurant makes a breakfast omelette with camarones (shrimp) and a white cheese sauce that's to die for! Always fresh made salsa and their own hot sauce there too! Everything fresca!!

5. happyture7 April 2010, 7:12 GMT +02:00

Which reminds me cris, its time for breakfast 6.11 am...ding dong!

6. jonfletch7 April 2010, 9:46 GMT +02:00

@3 My wife hates fresh coriander, does that count?!

@4 Good suggestions, thank you. I was looking for business meeting images a couple of years ago and didn't have that much luck on SXC.

7. Berenika7 April 2010, 14:28 GMT +02:00

I think I have got idea how to make this procces faster - COMPETITION.
we dont have enough food shots? It's time for a food competiotion shot!
But in this case I think it should be announcement on the home page of rgb because not so many downloaders and photograpers also are regular forum visitors.
About other topics that are needed I have to think a bit :-)

8. micromoth7 April 2010, 16:14 GMT +02:00

@3 Dez, I'm happy to reassure you that I too loathe coriander!

@4 Cris, I'm none too convinced that what has proved popular in the past will be popular here on RGB now too. We might be attracting different people / interests, at least for the time being until RGB gets better known. Two of my most popular shots on SXC were an aluminium grid pattern and the bark of a horse-chestnut tree (both intended as textures). Each had more than 2,000 downloads, yet here on RGB they've attracted almost no attention at all.

9. fishmonk7 April 2010, 17:53 GMT +02:00

Coriander is the best! You got to have it in prawn curry, and in hot hot muri. Mmmmmm

10. crisderaud7 April 2010, 18:18 GMT +02:00

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastword/2008/10/taste-tribulation.html
This article helps explain why this women in South Africa can't stand the taste of coriander and related herbs:

"This is a question that my husband, Jon Richfield, cannot answer to my satisfaction. I find the taste of certain common spices quite horrible. The nasty flavour I get from all of them seems, to me, quite similar.

The spices that taste this way are aniseed, caraway, cumin, fennel and coriander. Tarragon, cardamom and capers also taste awful in the same way.

I wonder if there is a food scientist who knows what they have in common, or what my aversion might be. I should add that I am not a fussy eater in general.

Bess Richfield, Somerset West, South Africa"

11. crisderaud7 April 2010, 18:25 GMT +02:00

We will continue our research on ways to find what people are hoping to find on this site.

The question about the taste of coriander may be related to a person's particular combination of genes.

12. xymonau8 April 2010, 0:07 GMT +02:00

There is a site called something like, "I hate coriander". It is genetic, and those who hate it perceive the flavour as being putrid. I'm one of them. I almost vomit if I smell fresh coriander, although I can eat the dried seeds and like them. I have been eating food and thought that it was off, when I realised it was coriander. So, I'm not sure I can forgive Dan and John. Kevin, on the other hand, is now my best friend!

Re the images: my most popular image had well over 25,000 downloads, and I don't think anyone has downloaded it once here. However, the pages are an issue. In order to get to each page, you have to scroll through the rest. Keywords account for most of our downloads, whereas, if people could just click on a page number, they could browse galleries comfortably, and we would see the downloads increase.

I agree that competitions are great for the numbers of images. We will be holding more. But our next one is a bit different.

13. fishmonk8 April 2010, 0:56 GMT +02:00

I think I can sympathise...

I do love coriander... however, some months back, I had bought some fresh & wet from the market & left it in the car (accidentally) over a long, hot, bank holiday weekend. When I finally got back into the car - my goodness, I cannot even begin to describe how utterly revolting the stench was. I since then, on occasions, have nasally recalled that day when near a cilantro plant. For me it has got to be raw & fresh!

14. lennie8 April 2010, 1:08 GMT +02:00

Click on a pagenumber, almost forgot about that wish, thanks Dez.

15. crisderaud8 April 2010, 2:05 GMT +02:00

I was thinking maybe we could set up a poll where members could vote for the general categories of images they would like to have.

16. xymonau8 April 2010, 2:42 GMT +02:00

Cris, do you mean renaming the categories, or selecting what's needed?

17. xymonau8 April 2010, 2:46 GMT +02:00

Dan, I never found many foods that I couldn't eat (plants, that is. I'm fussy about what meat I consume), and I used to think people were being precious when they carried on about food. But there are two things that I simply can't tolerate, even out of good manners. One is coriander - cooked or fresh - and the other is persimmons. To me the texture is of rotten fruit, and it always turns my stomach.

18. crisderaud8 April 2010, 3:17 GMT +02:00

For the people who are here to download and use the images, they could have a basic list of categories where they could vote on the category that they are most interested in. We could get direct feedback from the the people who are using the images.

19. xymonau8 April 2010, 8:55 GMT +02:00

Wouldn't a request page serve the same purpose?

20. crisderaud8 April 2010, 14:20 GMT +02:00

I'm not sure if people would stop to fill out a request page.

I wonder what others think about having a request page?

21. jonfletch8 April 2010, 14:41 GMT +02:00

For what it is worth, I would have used one SXC a couple of years when I was having my website redesigned. It was images of business meetings that I was struggling with.

22. weirdvis8 April 2010, 21:48 GMT +02:00

I always thought my dislike of curry and anything that smelled vaguely of it was a personal thing. Now I know differently...

And I loathe anniseed and anything anniseedy too.

23. debsch9 April 2010, 0:27 GMT +02:00

@12 @14
change the number at the end of the url...

http://www.rgbstock.com/gallery/xymonau/#

eg:
http://www.rgbstock.com/gallery/xymonau/5

Not as easy or obvious as clicking a page number I suppose, but does the job.

24. lennie9 April 2010, 1:09 GMT +02:00

Debsch, I did do atleast one change yesterday:

http://www.rgbstock.com/forum/msg/215/1

If you think this is also important AND have a design-idea, let me know, in the other thread.

Because I would like to know what is most important to you.

25. xymonau11 April 2010, 1:33 GMT +02:00

Deb, thank you for the hint. That will make my editing a bit easier. As you can see, hundreds of my images came through with no title. I do fix some at times, but I also do the keywords and categories, and it's very time consuming. Scrolling through endless pages to find the other one that I added months later is so frustrating.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera