Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Rejection because of poor lightning

Rejection because of poor lightning

1. GerbenVanErkelens21 July 2010, 16:50 GMT +02:00

Hi there,

today I uploaded a few photo's again and fast as ever I got the approval results. A few images we're to blurry (which was true) and others had poor lightning. That's where my question comes in.

I know they are a bit light but looking I used the camera's lightmeter to figure out which shutter I had to use. It said that I was using the correct shutterspeed for the shot. However it still came in lighter then exspected.

Any tips on how to resolve these sort of "problems" in the future?

The photo I'm talking about is:
http://picasaweb.google.nl/gerbenvanerkelens/RGBStockPhotoS#5496356207309078306

2. GerbenVanErkelens21 July 2010, 16:50 GMT +02:00

sorry, wrong link. Good one -> http://picasaweb.google.nl/gerbenvanerkelens/StockphotoS#5496356207309078306

3. StariSob22 July 2010, 8:36 GMT +02:00

hm, im no expert (and im sure others will give you more useful advices).
anyway, you do have digital camera, so try preview taken photo and then use faster shutter...
i guess there is "exposure compensation" setting on your camera - try it to see variations you get.
camera's built-in meter can be fooled if there are very bright areas (sky) and dark areas in the frame, so try to take a few shots with the different settings. hope that helps!

4. GerbenVanErkelens22 July 2010, 10:39 GMT +02:00

Hmm, that's a good one. Didn't know the built-in meter could be fooled. So I probably need to rely a bit more on my eyesight then!

5. fishmonk23 July 2010, 22:38 GMT +02:00

I think it depends on what it was focused on. maybe it focused on the yellow plants - which were nicely exposed. I sometimes set on auto, take a shot, take note of the numbers & then switch to manual adjusting aperture or shutter speed to darken or lighten. In short - eyesight is needed.

6. GerbenVanErkelens24 July 2010, 17:09 GMT +02:00

Good point, that's a thing I need to consider: Focus Point and the use of my own eyesight :D Tried something today, seems that it works correctly :D

7. weirdvis31 July 2010, 10:13 GMT +02:00

As Dan said, the background plants were nicely exposed. The highlights are definately overexposed. Using curves in RAW can help to compensate for that. Or perhaps spot metering when composing and taking the shot. Stopping down will also help so take several shots at different apertures and exposures to find the best balance.

8. GerbenVanErkelens31 July 2010, 16:28 GMT +02:00

Thanks again for the good explanation. I tried some of it during my vacation, just waiting on the end result now :-)

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera