Rgbstock forum

forum > Newbie chat > Usage


1. sharlene.m.moore9 April 2013, 8:02 GMT +02:00

Sorry new to all of this, I have read and re-read the terms of use but honestly still are not sure about image usage.

Can you use an image in building an e-card if you will get paid for the design of the e-card. The image would be a part of the card, but not the entire card.

Sorry if that is not clear.

For example can I use backgrounds, to build my e-card on?

2. sharlene.m.moore9 April 2013, 8:26 GMT +02:00

Also is there any way to change your user name? I signed up as MinnieMo but it did not show up that way?

3. xymonau9 April 2013, 10:05 GMT +02:00

I can answer the first question. The image licence goes into more detail: http://www.rgbstock.com/license

Since an e-card is the same as an ordinary card as far as image use goes, then you would need the permission of the person who uploaded the image. Some people simply ask about most use to be certain they have permission. However, where it is not clear, then you must ask, as copyright is retained by the uploaders.

Using a background is the same as using an image. If it is recognisable as the original background, then copyright applies.

The uploader may be happy to allow use in this way. Ask them. However, if you receive no response, unfortunately you would be unable to use that image.

4. sharlene.m.moore9 April 2013, 23:49 GMT +02:00

Thanks I am still confused, as to how e-cards are different from flyers and brochures. Maybe e-card is the wrong term to describe what I am trying to do.

The card is not going to be sold, it is for illustrative purposes only. The background would be used as a format to place the cover of a book that belongs to a friend and type on, just to give it some color in the background. Most of the background would be covered by the book, and type.

It would be shared on Facebook, to announce when the book goes on sale.

I have absolutely no problem with contacting the artist but I don't think I am making myself clear about the usage I want, as I don't see any difference in what I need and a blog or flyer or brochure.
This is so confusing. Thanks for the help.

5. sharlene.m.moore10 April 2013, 0:13 GMT +02:00

I think maybe postable is a better term for what I am doing.

6. sharlene.m.moore10 April 2013, 0:24 GMT +02:00

Still having trouble uploading a profile photo, will keep trying.

7. xymonau10 April 2013, 3:50 GMT +02:00

Well, if the image is not being sold or given away from another site as a card or otherwise, but is merely used on a website as an image or illustration, then that's fine.

The difference with image use is: is it an illustration, or is it the reason for people buying the product? On a cup, an image is the reason people will purchase, and the cup is merely a canvas for the image. The same goes for cards, calendars, etc. People are really buying the item because of the pretty pictures. That's why they choose one cup or calendar over the others.

In a flyer, the image is a decoration, but not the purpose for the flyer. You may be paid to create the flyer (and you shouldn't charge for an image if you haven't paid for it), but the flyer isn't about the image, and it is not just a canvas for the image. The image is part of the design or an illustration.

If you wanted to use an image in a book - e.g., a photo of a dog to illustrate a story about dogs - that's fine. But if you are selling a book that is just full of pretty dog photos, then you are selling the image, not using it to illustrate something. If the primary reason for purchase is the picture and not the other content, then you need permission. Why don't you just ask anyway? That way you can be certain everything is legal and above board. And the people who go to the trouble of posting images here receive no reward for their generosity and hard work unless people tell them about where the images are used, comment or hit the "like" button.

8. sharlene.m.moore10 April 2013, 5:03 GMT +02:00

Have no problem at all with asking and certainly want to promote the work of the artist as much as possible, just was confused even about what to ask for.

I just found the usage information confusing and wanted clarification. I think I understand now and my use of the word card was confusing.

As stated just getting started and the correct terms are confusing.

Thanks for you help so very much. This describes exactly what I am looking for.

"In a flyer, the image is a decoration, but not the purpose for the flyer. You may be paid to create the flyer (and you shouldn't charge for an image if you haven't paid for it), but the flyer isn't about the image, and it is not just a canvas for the image. The image is part of the design or an illustration."

9. xymonau10 April 2013, 5:15 GMT +02:00

That's good. Glad it was clear for you. Sometimes terminology is what confuses. I get a lot of things wrong at times and so I understand perfectly. :o)

I hope you have a successful project and keep coming back for your stock images. You could always put up a gallery as well. We have a lot of designers with galleries here.

10. sharlene.m.moore10 April 2013, 8:47 GMT +02:00

xymonau: thanks so much, there is so much for me to learn, This is just a hobby for me and I am teaching myself as I got.

You were a great help and I love your images, did you get my message?

11. xymonau10 April 2013, 9:31 GMT +02:00

I just replied. Yes, it's a hobby for me, too, and I really enjoy doing something creative. Thanks.

12. vjmortensen30 October 2013, 2:20 GMT +01:00

I also am confused. I would like an image to use on a book cover. I believe I do not need any further permission or pay fees if I read the license agreement correction. Am I right?

However, I would like to give credit to the person who made the image available on the title page of the book. What verbiage should I use?

Thanks !

13. xymonau30 October 2013, 11:48 GMT +01:00


They don't get much more prominent than a book cover. You do need to contact the owner of the image for permission. It is up to them if they allow the use or ask you to pay, etc.

If you have permission, then check the owner's profile. If there are no instructions, you should use their real name - if it is in the profile - and say something like: "Image by John Smith at RGBStock". Even if you pay on a pay stock site, it's courtesy to credit the photographer/artist.

14. crisderaud30 October 2013, 14:24 GMT +01:00

Hello Vance,

The reason you need permission to use the images on a book cover is three-fold.

First, the image is being used on an item for sale. It's well known that a book is sold by its cover. You need the permission from the image owner to allow you to make sales from the use of their image.

Second, the image owner needs to give consent that their image is ok to use to represent what is written in the content of the book.

Third, the author needs to verify how they will be accrediting the cover image to the image owner.

The image owner reserves the right to charge a fee for the use of their image on an item for sale such as a book cover. This is usually not the case as most gallery owners are honored to have their images used on a book cover.

I think you will find that the gallery owners are accommodating once you have contacted them about using their image on your book cover.

15. vjmortensen1 November 2013, 1:27 GMT +01:00

This is great information and I appreciate your prompt responses! - Vance

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

Lightbox . FAQ . contact . license agreement . terms of use . about . www.hqstock.com free stock photos totally free stock photos stock photos high quality free stock photos totally free stock photos totally free stock photos totally free stock images free stock images editors' pick alternative to sxc.hu Rgbstock blog and news
| English | Deutsch | Español | Polski | Português | Nederlands |
Shutterstock official partner of Rgbstock Saqurai AI official partner of Rgbstock