Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Floods

Floods

1. xymonau28 January 2013, 5:13 GMT +01:00

This happened on the Sunshine Coast, where I used to live. It seems the wind, floods and seas have put a thick white snow-like froth over everything, and the genius in the car nearly hit police officers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbfgK14W6eA

2. xymonau28 January 2013, 8:16 GMT +01:00

It's really weird. My town has been declared a disaster area. The flood is much worse than last time. But I haven't been out and it hasn't rained since midday yesterday, and I just have no concept of the drama. I'm reading about it online. I just hope the supermarkets don't run out of food again. That was a real pain last time.

3. weirdvis28 January 2013, 12:18 GMT +01:00

Just as long as you are safe, Dez.

4. xymonau29 January 2013, 8:03 GMT +01:00

I am, thank you, Lynne. Our town has been really lucky, and apart from deeper flooding than last time, we have had no wild weather that other places have experienced.

5. charcoal31 January 2013, 12:13 GMT +01:00

My family and I were stuck up at Cooroy on the weekend - tried to drive back to Brissie on Sunday but the motorway was so dangerous - at 70kph the car was being blown around and water all over the road. There were car bodies in the ditches both sides of the motorway. We turned back – didn't want to end up in a large body of flood water. Made it back safely on Monday.

The poor people in Bundaberg and other places – hope they have the strength and support to get through this.
Shocking scenes on the news tonight of Bundaberg water receding leaving roads in a complete mess.
Good to hear your town was lucky Dez.

6. xymonau31 January 2013, 14:03 GMT +01:00

I don't have a tv, but what I've seen on the net re Bundy is heartbreaking. Poor people can't go home yet, either. So much work to do there, and people have lost everything.

I'm glad you were sensible and didn't risk the drive. Lives are more important than anything else. Is your neck of Brissie okay?

7. charcoal31 January 2013, 14:25 GMT +01:00

All okay, quite a few trees down around the suburb - we had one down and part of someone's roof in our pool! Luckily we're not in a flood zone though. We were up the coast when the wild weather was battering our house. Probably best. We were on a lifestyle block at Cooroy and a wind-break row of gum trees was getting hammered by the wind. One large (rotten) tree came down about 2 minutes after my Sister-in-law drove down the driveway where it hit, with my daughter in the car. Doesn't bear thinking about. That is close.

We were up at Bundy at Christmas – hard to picture that where we were walking around the river has been destroyed.

Going to be another tough year for a lot of folks.

8. xymonau31 January 2013, 22:13 GMT +01:00

Trees were falling down everywhere this time. The daughter of one of my workers was in Burrum Heads (or possibly Burnett Heads, I can't remember) and the house she was in was wrecked, and a tree fell on her car and destroyed it. Fortunately they were all safe.

Well, you've got a big clean-up by the sound of it. I wish you well with it all, Michael.

9. charcoal1 February 2013, 1:19 GMT +01:00

That's shocking – glad they weren't hurt. Sounds like a miracle they weren't.

Yes, clean up time. Thanks Dez.

10. weirdvis3 February 2013, 8:57 GMT +01:00

Sounds like you both had a lucky escape. Hope everything gets back to normal ASAP.

11. xymonau3 February 2013, 9:11 GMT +01:00

I was wondering how old your daughter is, Michael, and how she dealt with the tree falling. And your sister-in-law must have had a terrible shock. I hope everyone is feeling okay now.

Our food supply is back to normal now, and the water level is almost back to normal as well. I'm not sure when the bridge will open. Poor Rockhampton is in the thick of it now.

I was driving where all the flood had been, and everything was covered in that brown silt from the river - and goodness knows what else. I don't know how you get that out of a house. I guess with a hose and lots of bleach. I would hate to have to do a flood clean-up.

I'm definitely gonna buy a boat if this happens a third time.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera