Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Ideas for new categories

Ideas for new categories

1. Ayla876 February 2010, 10:19 GMT +01:00

How would you think about some categories describing materials prominently used in pictures (metal, wood, stone, glass, cloth, ...) - would that be helpful?

When people are looking for images without a sharp idea what exactly they need - I think to look for a certain material might give an inspiration.

2. dlritter6 February 2010, 20:55 GMT +01:00

This is a great idea. Has the category list been constructed in a way so new categories can be added or reorganized without messing up everything that is already categorized?

The appearance of the category list could use a bit of alteration too. When selecting a category from the long list it us really easy to get lost. It would be really helpful to add some sort of spacing in front of the category names. To see what I mean, compare the category list menu on sxc to the one here.

There also is no real way that I can see to select NO category. I mean there does not seem to be a blank selection in the list.

3. jazza6 February 2010, 22:57 GMT +01:00

Great idea. I will put it on my to do list. This list is quite long at the moment, so please be a little patient :)

I can add as many categories as we like to have without messing things up, but how many items can you possible show in a list ? Maybe we should have an other form.

Not a list but, well, err, don't know jet.

4. Ayla877 February 2010, 8:49 GMT +01:00

@David
I agree, a "no category"-selection would be more helpful than too much "abstract" images :)

@Jay
I have stumbled on the same subject that it is not too easy to select categories from a very long list.

Ideas:

* Open the full categories list in 2-4 (because they are quite short) columns, so that it is easier to overlook all of the categories at the same time and pick your choice

* since most of us obviously have their "favorite categories" which are used more often than the others, why not create a favorite categories-box for every photographer, where he may drag his most-wanted categories to choose from. It would be handy to get the "favorite categories" copied in a section "My Favorites" to be displayed at the top of the categories list.

Sorry, that all ideas just mean more work is to come, but don't hurry! Good things always will take a while... I see a chance here to get miles better than any other stock photo site I know of.

BTW, why not show the categories which the photo is assigned to on each photo-page? This might be helpful for users who want to find similar photos.

Michael

5. dragonariaes8 February 2010, 3:18 GMT +01:00

Could we also have an insects (spider, fly, butterfly, caterpillar, worm, etc???) category? Right now, I put my bug pictures in with the animals, but it would be good to have another place for them specifically.

6. krayker8 February 2010, 5:42 GMT +01:00

@ 5. dragonariaes
yup, I second that... I have my insect collection in the animal category too.

7. micromoth9 February 2010, 13:58 GMT +01:00

@5 and @6 I would agree too!

Also - there's some landscape categories missing. For example, "Fields" would be a useful one.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera