Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Model Release

Model Release

1. scottsnyde15 February 2010, 20:30 GMT +01:00

I'm unclear about the model release.

I thought it was unimportant if you couldn't tell who the photo was. I tried to upload some images of a cowboy on a bucking bronco. He was facing away, so it would have been impossible to see who it was. It was for that reason that I was confused that the image was rejected on the basis of needing a model release.

I have images with the model's face clearly visible on other photos, but without a model release, and they seem to go through just fine.

All of my models are actually just my friends, and I have their permission to upload their images, but I don't really have many signed releases. I can get them if I really need them, but since I don't live anywhere any of them, it's not very convenient.

Who can clear this up for me a little bit?

2. xymonau15 February 2010, 22:12 GMT +01:00

I can't speak for the images that were rejected. It's possible that it was for another reason and that was selected by mistake.

As for model releases: it is best if you can find a generic model release on the web and carry copies with you to photo sessions. Even friends can be unhappy about some uses of their image, no matter what they told you originally (and it has happened). The downloader is responsible for getting a clear permission from the model if the image is to be used publicly, and they should contact you directly.

It is okay to have the images here and for people to download them without a release, but the downloader is vulnerable if they do not have that release and then use the image.

There are many simple and good model releases available for free if you Google the subject.

3. scottsnyde16 February 2010, 4:07 GMT +01:00

Thanks. I'll get some releases from my models.

4. weirdvis16 February 2010, 9:35 GMT +01:00

Hi Scott! It's good to see you here. The model release issue and the legal implications are currently under review. We hope to get you an answer as soon as possible. :0)

5. scottsnyde17 February 2010, 20:35 GMT +01:00

Am I just dense? How come I can't find anywhere to attach a model release?

6. xymonau17 February 2010, 23:35 GMT +01:00

There isn't anywhere at this time.

Keep them to give to downloaders who require them.

7. scottsnyde18 February 2010, 14:09 GMT +01:00

In that case, I'm confused. Some of my favorite images are being rejected on the basis that they require a model release. But if there is no way to include a model release, and its just up to me to have one ready, then why reject if for that reason?

8. scottsnyde18 February 2010, 21:13 GMT +01:00

I swear, I'm ok with getting rejected. The only reason I care is because it takes so long to upload them. I'd like to know what would be rejected so I don't waste my time. Any help with this would be appreciated.

9. crisderaud19 February 2010, 1:20 GMT +01:00

Sorry for the late reply Scott. We are installing a tic box where you agree that you have the model release.

I have informed them that your particular gallery is of family and friends and are known regulars in your images.

I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion about model releases.

10. xymonau19 February 2010, 2:18 GMT +01:00

Scott, you're correct that the information isn't available re this, and I just hate having gone to all the trouble of uploading to find an image rejected. The rules will be formulated and made public as soon as possible.

11. weirdvis20 February 2010, 8:35 GMT +01:00

Hi Scott, you might like to know that the model release problem is being worked on. Hopefully you will receive a solution quickly. :0)

12. crisderaud20 February 2010, 23:42 GMT +01:00

Scott, it's just been reported that the problem has been resolved. The site architect just added the Model release tick box to the upload page.

When you tick the box while uploading, the following will appear next to the large thumbnail:

Model release
The photographer/artist has a valid model release of this image. Please contact him/her for more details.

Thank you for your patience while we worked on the issue.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera