Rgbstock forum

forum > Equipment > What equipment do you use?

What equipment do you use?

1. mzacha9 April 2010, 13:00 GMT +02:00

I have something pitiful... Olympus 740UZ (my old shots), Canon 1100IS and Canon 40D with EF-S 18-200mm IS (shared, so rarely used). I am planning to buy two cameras more... Somewhere in the future.

26. crisderaud1 November 2011, 17:41 GMT +01:00

Good news Gesine! Glad you got it!

I just bought a Canon Powershot G12 for a good walk about camera that is less heavy and intimidating. Forgot about the old problem with noise. The pictures are overly smooth if I filter them out. That's alright for family snaps and fun shots.

You shouldn't have hardly any noise with the 60D Gesine if you shoot in the manual mode at ISO 100.

I just ordered a pair of monolights by Impact. They have a constant spotlight until you take the shot where they become a flash unit with adjustments for intensity and distance. They should be in Friday.

27. gesinek2 November 2011, 11:22 GMT +01:00

I think I'll get it at friday or saturday (I hope earlier). Then I'll try your suggestion. But I think I have to learn a lot on that new one. And my decision for that one was really that I will use it in sports photography at motorbike races, judo competition, soccer and so on.
At the moment I try to get a press accreditation because you may not get to all areas at a competitions without it. Maybe my union can fix that for me or the small village newspaper, I take sometime pictures for. Well, let' see what happens...

And congratulations Chris for your new toy.

28. Ayla872 November 2011, 13:20 GMT +01:00

Congrats for winning the auction, Gesine. You will have lots of settings to test.

Cris, your G12 looks interesting, too :)

I have just ordered a Canon Ixus 1100 hs which I hope will arrive in the next days. So you can see that I'm still staying in the P&S-camera section. Just upgrading from 3x zoom to 12x zoom, which should be a huge difference. And then there are such nice features like image stabilisation, which my current Ixus 500 does not offer. But I'm still not sure if all the shots will get too noisy and I'm sending it back to stay with my good old camera. We'll see... This Ixus 1100 also supports fast and slow motion photography and films in HD quality. Being less intimidating is a great point for me, too. Like Cris I want to have a chance to make photos without appearing too suspicious in the public. P&S-cameras always give you an inconspicuous look like a tourist, which is just fine for me.
--Michael

29. crisderaud2 November 2011, 21:50 GMT +01:00

The Ixus looks good Michael. It has the HS system and just came out in August 2011. Thinner than the G12 so easier to put in your pocket. The G12 is a little thick and a little heavy but it's a good fit for me.

The Ixus 1100 is called the PowerShot ELPH 510 HS in the US and Canada.

I'll bet my niece would love to have the red one!

30. Ayla873 November 2011, 6:33 GMT +01:00

Strange that the Ixus 1100 is published under different names in the US and Canada.

I'm expecting my silver one today or tomorrow and will report if it stands up to my expectations. This is, in fact, my first ever technical goodie with a touchscreen. This just increases my curiosity, as I don't have sharp-pointed sticks on my fingers...

It is a great advantage to have thin, pocket-sized cameras. As for the weight - i think some grams more make it easier to get a steady hold on it.

31. ColinBrough4 November 2011, 15:13 GMT +01:00

Most of my shots are from a Canon 450D with the kit lens. I've a couple of macro filters used for some of the close-ups. A cheap, Yongnu wireless remote shutter that has so far worked fantastically. And a tripod I inherited from a friend (Vanguard, I think). UV filter, and very occasionally a polarising filter - but since the front element of the kit lens rotates to focus the polarising filter is a pain to use!! I often post-process and scale down a bit before submitting - gimp and the netpbm tools. A few older shots are older P&S's - a Nikon something or other (decent noise levels, nice vibrant images) and a very cheap HP Photosmart E327 (remarkable that any images were usable at all!).

32. crisderaud5 November 2011, 13:41 GMT +01:00

Yesterday I got a pair of these monolights http://screencast.com/t/GntmPcT2jDuK shown here with the 21" square softbox attachment.

I needed a controllable studio flash I could set up and take down and this kit cost less than a camera mounted speedlight making it quite a useful and affordable option.

The flash is triggered by either a PC synch cord to the camera or a sensor on the back sets it off when it detects another flash firing.

33. Ayla876 November 2011, 8:30 GMT +01:00

The first shots with my new Ixus 1100 HS are online now (everything from the blue stapler onwards) and I think they look quite promising. The lightning was mostly quite poor, so the results look better than expected for a 12 MP P&S. More shots are following soon.

Cris, your monolights look very promising.

34. gesinek7 November 2011, 23:32 GMT +01:00

Sorry when I don't respond to the last topic but my new camera arrived today and I HAVE TO LEARN A HUGE LOT

But I'm soooo happy

35. Ayla878 November 2011, 6:19 GMT +01:00

Good to hear that you new toy has arrived, Gesine. Have lots of fun with it and don't be worried if it takes a bit longer to work things out. You will get more and more experienced while you learn. Cameras sometimes seem to be hard to understand and quite unpredictable in their reactions, maybe a bit like children. They appear to have their own heads.

My Ixus 1100 HS still holds some riddles to be solved for me. Perhaps she has her little secrets. I think we have to get to know each other better...

36. CraigPJ25 March 2012, 4:43 GMT +02:00

My early digital shots were on the Lumix FZ10, which was an awesome camera for the price. Eventually, I moved to DSLR with the Pentax K10D and a variety of New and old lenses mostly fix focal length (prime lenses). A few years ago, although I loved my Pentax, I made the switch to Canon with the 5D MkII. At the time I had a kind housemate with plenty of high quality Canon glass that he let my use (hence my choice of Canon over any other brand).

Over the last 2 years, I have concentrated on building up a professional arsenal of Canon kit. This currently includes:

Canon 5D MkII
Canon 1D MkIV
Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro
Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM II
Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG APO HSM
Canon EF 500mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon EF 1.4x III Extender
Canon Speedlite 580EX II
2 x Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital Flash
Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2
Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX

Support:
Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT Tripod with Giottos MH-3300 Pro Series II ball head and Wimberley Arca-Swiss style plate
When using the 500mm lens (mainly for sport, I use a Wimberly Sidekick Gimbal head attached to my Giottos head. Alternately I use it on a Manfrotto Manfrotto 681B monopod.

My most used lenses are the 135mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 and for street photography and candid portraiture, I often carry just these two lenses (one on each camera) and Flash with Stofen Omnibounce on each camera.

37. boogy_man3 July 2012, 12:40 GMT +02:00

I've recently upgraded from Nikon D3000 to Nikon D90 & Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

38. armani00729 July 2013, 21:50 GMT +02:00

Nikon D800 + battery pack
Nikkor 50mm 1.4F
Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8F
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
Tamron 180mm F3.5 macro
Kenko 12mm+24mm+36mm macro rings
2x Metz 58 AF-2
Elincrome D-Light 4 kit
Manfrotto tripod

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera