Rgbstock forum

forum > Fun zone > 4 Letter Words

4 Letter Words

1. krayker16 July 2010, 13:45 GMT +02:00

You can only change ONE letter, AND/OR rearrange the letters currently available. The first word is:

WINS

12002. weirdvis3 March 2016, 10:44 GMT +01:00

She's so lively she can be a bit of a

pain

sometimes but I wouldn't have her any other way. Good walks are when she comes back wet or muddy. The best walks are when she comes back wet AND muddy.

12003. Ayla873 March 2016, 12:42 GMT +01:00

She obviously knows how to

gain

fun from being with you. That must be a wonderful dog life.

12004. weirdvis3 March 2016, 13:34 GMT +01:00

She knows how to

grin

too.

http://www.rgbstock.com/photo/pBVqQea/Field+Good+Factor

12005. Ayla873 March 2016, 13:45 GMT +01:00

That's not quite an evil laff, so you still have to teach her something. Maybe some heavy

rain

would bring up even more emotions.

12006. weirdvis3 March 2016, 13:57 GMT +01:00

When she comes back from a walk all wet and muddy she tends to

ruin

carpets which is why I have easy to clean, not particularly posh floor covering.

12007. xymonau3 March 2016, 16:27 GMT +01:00

You would have to

rein

her in if you had them replaced.

12008. Ayla874 March 2016, 6:14 GMT +01:00

We have nearly no carpets, mostly parquet floor wich is

fine

for Mimi to race and slither around. Sometimes she has difficulties then to brake early enough when she wants to run in a curve. Must be quite slippery for her, but we don't intend to strew road salt...

12009. xymonau5 March 2016, 7:51 GMT +01:00

You

fink!

You would deprive your poor cat of traction just because you don't want to be ankle-deep in road salt? (The very concept of road salt is beyond me. I know the theory, and they might even use it in the snowy areas of the country here. But I can't picture it or the effects. I have a blank spot in the road salt region of my brain.)

12010. Ayla876 March 2016, 7:38 GMT +01:00

When you read more about road salt you will

find

out that it does very well what it has to do - it instanty brings the snow on the roads to thaw so that the streets aren't so slippery anymore for the cars. The bad thing for nature is that it has side effects. It is quite aggressive to the trunks of nearby trees and gives them a hard (and possibly shorter) life. And we have lots (hundreds of thousands) of trees - about 436.000 - seaming the streetsof Berlin. A very important reason why Berlin is such a green city. Therefore the use of street salt is generally forbidden in Berlin and you need a special authorisation when you want to use it, which is hard to get.

Here is a text about road salt from wikipedia:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auftausalz&edit-text=&act=url

Thanks for your nice comment on this photo
http://www.rgbstock.com/photo/pEzxyLK

The story of this photo is easily told (to answer your question). No, I didn't have to rob a bank, they gave it to me voluntarily. I have the habit to collect the money we need to live for the whole month at the start of each month in my local post office (which is also a bank). The funny thing is that as a civil servant I get paid in advance at the beginning of each month before I even have started to work for that money. I don't like cashpoints, because they would give me the money mostly in 50 Euro notes. Many shops don't like these because they have to give more change. So as you can see I prefer to get everything in 20 Euro notes. The good side effect is that this way the pile of notes is higher. The bad news is that you can't buy that much for 20 Euros. Getting the money from the staff at the counter also helps to secure their jobs. Many banks have already drastically reduced the number of their cashiers since the introduction of the cashpoint.

We recently had a slight change in the design of the 20 Euro notes, so the new notes are now replacing the older ones. That was the reason why I got only freshly printed, unused notes this time. As you may have observed already I like to make texture photos, so this was a perfect opportunity for me.

12011. micromoth6 March 2016, 10:26 GMT +01:00

Road salt isn't

kind

to aquatic life either, if it all gets washed into drains and then rivers after sudden, short, heavy rainfall. We had such a situation in the UK a few years ago. Lots of dead fish; very sad.

12012. gesinek6 March 2016, 13:03 GMT +01:00

Road salt is forbidden on the roads and sidewalks in Hamburg and other cities too. But you can still buy it and use it on your own ground.
I think most people have it in

mind

and know about the danger for nature or simply their own pets who are often hurt by that.

12013. Ayla877 March 2016, 6:30 GMT +01:00

In Berlin the use is forbidden even on private grounds, so if you

find

road salt here in a shop and buy it to use it anywhere in your own city you are only supporting profiteers because you have spent your money for something totally useless (unless you deliberately want to do something illegal).

12014. weirdvis7 March 2016, 10:45 GMT +01:00

Not so much a problem where. The storm drains

wind

there way onto outlets on the beach and the salt marsh. Our local creatures love salt.

12015. Ayla877 March 2016, 10:57 GMT +01:00

When you are

kind

to the environment you can always use alternate methods instead of that aggressive salt.

12016. micromoth7 March 2016, 11:56 GMT +01:00

Yes, not considering the environment only leads to a miserable

dank

future.

12017. Ayla877 March 2016, 12:05 GMT +01:00

The outlook for this world is

dark

enough already, and the trip to Mars (just to escape) would be no pleasure either.

12018. gesinek7 March 2016, 12:45 GMT +01:00

As long as the politic is throwing with a

dart

on the problems and leave every responibility to the customers, maybe. But customers have to study this days only to buy good, ecologic products. they always try to screw you.

12019. Ayla877 March 2016, 13:31 GMT +01:00

The customer is mighty. Politicians often listen more to lobbyists and rarely find pragmatic solutions for specific problems. So I try to use my might as a customer to take

part

in making this world a better place. We buy as much as we can in the form of organic products. Not yet with our clothes. I've heard that the resources of cotton worldwide are getting smaller because it grows so slowly. But organic clothing is nearly unaffordable. At least we wear everything as long as we can. The average customer is said to throw things away after he has worn them two times. If I would intend to wear something so rarely I'd better not buy it at all and spend my money on something else.

12020. micromoth7 March 2016, 15:34 GMT +01:00

I quite agree. A consumerist mindset can be a

trap

We grow many of our own fruit and vegetables on our local allotments. Other allotment holders grow different things, so we swap produce with each other. Great fun and such nice food!

12021. Ayla878 March 2016, 6:22 GMT +01:00

That's nice. Sounds as if you are on a good

trip

to a better world already.

12022. xymonau8 March 2016, 12:43 GMT +01:00

I have never understood poorer people buying clothing and wearing them only briefly. I had a friend once who had a wardrobe the width of one side of her room and along a second, and it was absolutely jammed with clothing. She was on a very low income, lived with her parents, who didn't charge her any rent, (a huge mistake by parents, frankly) and she spent everything on clothing. The tags were on many because she didn't have time to wear it all. I am the complete opposite. I buy things and wear them to death. Who cares? If it looks nice, then enjoy it. Save your money. Many people could be saving for the deposit on a home, but instead are tossing money away on emptiness.

Re the money - being paid in advance is crazy. I worked somewhere that used to pay us about four days in advance. We were paid fortnightly, but always paid four days before the fortnight finished. People would be off sick, and then it was a headache adjusting the pays.

Re the salt - so much of the planet is getting covered with salt from over-fertilising and over-watering. Australia is using up its ground water at an alarming rate, and with that comes salination of the soil. I can understand why governments would forbid salting. In the old days you would stay home, I guess, if the snow was too bad. But we are pursuing the holy dollar - or Euro - so hard that we aren't allowed the luxury of that.

I prefer organic foods, but the cost is prohibitive sometimes. So I often have to settle for the other. Any

port

in a storm, as they say. We have to eat, and sometimes have no option for organic. The organic carrots and onions I buy are always so much sweeter than fertilised crops. The difference is significant. I love the allotment system. Of course, if you have a big yard, it isn't necessary, but in places where land is at a premium, it makes such good sense. You can grow a lot in pots, too. And I've seen some clever vertical potted gardens, up an exterior wall. That also uses space wisely.

12023. Ayla878 March 2016, 13:22 GMT +01:00

It's not too bad to be payed in advance because civil servants are irredeemable as a return service for their sworn life-long work for the state and the goals of our constitution. Therefore we would get paid anyhow, even if we become sick. There is also salaried personnel working for the state (civil servants work in those jobs which require sovereign acting against their customers). But the salaried personnel in Germany gets paid by the health insurance only when their illness lasts longer than 6 Weeks (I mean, the health insurance begins to pay for them from the sixth week onwards only), so there is not too much of a hassle with trying to get some money back. Salaried personnel working for the state is generally not paid in advance, but in the midst of the month (that is someling like half in advance).

Yes, you often can taste the difference (better taste) of organic food. You don't really need to be a gourmet to do that.

To grow things in

pots

is a good idea, especially when space is rare. Christas main mission is to grow cat grass (from oat grains) for Mimi in pots. Mimi eats it faster than it can grow at this time of the year. So we have now 3 pots used alternating in their different states of growth.

Space is generally getting rarer and rarer over the next years in Berlin because the area of the city can't grow anymore. The surrounding land belongs to another federal land ("Brandenburg") - we can't take it from them. But there are hundreds of thousands addidional inhabitants coming over the years who want to live in Berlin permanently (because this is such a vibrant and still green city). So there is a lot of building activity for 10.000s of new appartments every year going on. Houses will have to get higher, I suppose, because of the given limits of the size of our city.

12024. weirdvis8 March 2016, 19:50 GMT +01:00

I always

step

up and support local businesses selling local produce. The food does taste better when it was in the field only hours before. Can't get fresher than that.

12025. Ayla879 March 2016, 6:23 GMT +01:00

That's perfect. We

stop

by Germanys one and only organic farm with a direct tube access (well, underground trains are not called tube in Berlin, of course) at least once every week. A walk over their fields give good photo opportunities and their food is tasty and extremely local and fresh, too. Gives us a good feeling every time.

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.domaene-dahlem.de/home/&edit-text=&act=url

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera