Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Next Oxford Dictionary may be entirely online

Next Oxford Dictionary may be entirely online

1. crisderaud31 August 2010, 16:54 GMT +02:00

The 126-year-old Oxford English Dictionary may no longer be published in book form. The online version gets millions of visitors. But only 30,000 printed sets have ever been sold. The decision will be made when the new revision is complete.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g6CldEyTFyTcI6HxFN0tBwFhr_WgD9HTCDT00

2. Zela31 August 2010, 17:30 GMT +02:00

It's the futtre and it saves the trees ;-)

3. jonfletch31 August 2010, 19:04 GMT +02:00

Another 10 years before they complete it, and I think they have been working on this edition for about 25 years so far

4. krayker31 August 2010, 19:10 GMT +02:00

lols@3

5. weirdvis31 August 2010, 21:49 GMT +02:00

I hope not. The way our dopey government is handling our energy generating crisis (replacing coal and nuclear power stations with windmills that don't work) we'll be facing blackouts in less than five years. Not much point having the OED online when no one can bleeding access it.

Progress...who needs it?

6. xymonau5 September 2010, 2:10 GMT +02:00

I hope they print some. Not everyone still has access to a computer, and libraries should still exist. When the power goes down, we are lost if we rely heavily on electronics. I agree about the trees, but paper can be made from other things that are cheaper and better, if governments are serious about ecology.

We're all chronically hypnotised by music and television, so our IQ is dropping anyway. We're going to need the dictionary just to form a thought soon.

7. crisderaud6 September 2010, 19:00 GMT +02:00

The last version from 20 years ago cost 1,200 dollars and the 20 volumes weigh 130 lbs.

Heck, you would be better off buying a nice computer.

I find the single volume Webster's Unabridged to be a reasonable substitute for home use.

On or off the internet, the free Answers.com app that allows alt + left click info on anything is indispensable. It's like an instant dictionary and encyclopedia combined.
http://www.answers.com/main/download_answers_win.jsp

8. lennie6 September 2010, 19:22 GMT +02:00

For that kind of money you can probably add a generator and some diesel as well to not be dependent on the power grid. :-)

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera