Rgbstock forum

forum > Equipment > Unboxing the $30,000 Leica M9 Titanium

Unboxing the $30,000 Leica M9 Titanium

1. crisderaud11 February 2011, 3:55 GMT +01:00

With a suggested retail price of £19,800 (currently about $32,000) and only 500 units in existence, Leica’s limited edition M9 Titanium probably isn’t a camera you’re ever going to lay eyes on in real life. When it was announced back in September of last year, we predicted that most of them wouldn’t see the light of day and would be placed immediately into collectors’ vaults. Luckily for us, someone decided to actually unbox (gasp!) one of these babies (camera #164), allowing us to see what it’s like to receive such an absurdly expensive camera.

I failed to see anything worth that kind of money in the box. Take a look at what must be the most over rated or just over priced camera on the market.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/02/10/unboxing-the-30000-leica-m9-titanium/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+PetaPixel+(PetaPixel)

2. krayker11 February 2011, 4:50 GMT +01:00

Gasp! does it freeze the wingbeat of a hummingbird in low light ? does it have ISO320,000 ? does it have an expensive case that makes up most of its cost ?

... probably the latter.

3. Groningen13 February 2011, 19:09 GMT +01:00

you've got to be joking!

look at the second film
that camera is not worth 30,000 dollar, no way
and the box is nothing new either

why do people spent so much money
probably not real photographers

4. krayker15 February 2011, 7:53 GMT +01:00

a moonstone coat on the camera will increase the cost even more. they could opt for a platinum case ;)

well beyond a point it's just a camera for the well heeled. i dont blame the manufacturers, cos they do seem to find buyers. like the vertu phone or the Tourbillons - when a cheap $1 electronic watch can produce the same time :P

but i wish they instead plunked all that money to make a bulletproof, long lasting tech, a product so superior and ahead of time that it'd outlast a few generation of cameras. but then, that's wishful thinking!

5. crisderaud17 February 2011, 6:32 GMT +01:00

Did you know that Russian President Dimitri Medvedev is an avid photo enthusiast? In this video he shares some thoughts on photography, and talks about his own involvement in the art. If you’re wondering what he shoots with, the answer is a Leica M9, as well as Canon and Nikon cameras.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/02/16/russian-president-dimitri-medvedev-loves-photography/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+PetaPixel+(PetaPixel)

6. krayker28 February 2011, 8:48 GMT +01:00

interesting!

7. Stephen3 May 2011, 12:38 GMT +02:00

If I don't take the box will it come in under 10k?
ok leave out the manual, I'll figure it out, can we say 5k less
what if I chuck in my besseler enlarger?

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera