Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Categories

Categories

1. ChIandra4U8 March 2013, 11:00 GMT +01:00

Recently I am doing more uploads.
Congratulations to the RGB-team because everything runs smoothly ;-)
However, I have a comment regarding the categories.
It's never easy to find a certain category in the list.
Can the list by made alphabetic ?
Maybe also in themes and sub-themes ?

2. xymonau8 March 2013, 12:03 GMT +01:00

This has been a low priority since there have been major things that needed addressing first. I personally think the categories need an overhaul, and if I ever get enough time, I'll be suggesting a new list. However, everyone is a volunteer and have their own jobs as well as real life to contend with.

I agree it is currently not ideal. I'm not sure alphabetical would work as categories have a lot of sub-categories. But we will look at it eventually. In the meantime, why don't you write a full ist of your suggestions and post them here. And if others have some thoughts and ideas, feel free to do the same.

According to the statistics, though, categories are not used a lot. It's mostly keywords.

3. ChIandra4U8 March 2013, 17:12 GMT +01:00

I do understand the problem.
I myself am also a moderator/administrator on the dutch website ShootnShop.nl
Where I obviously also posted a link to your site.
We are a team of volunteers with the same issues.
It is certainly not my intention to criticize your brilliant work
I just wanted to make a suggestion.

4. jazza8 March 2013, 23:45 GMT +01:00

Thank you for the suggestion. We are aware of the fact that the categories and the category list need some improvements.

It is on our to do list and it is quite a while on it :(

5. xymonau9 March 2013, 1:20 GMT +01:00

@3 - I didn't take your suggestions as criticism. :o) I'm sorry if I sounded defensive. I wasn't at all. Just explaining the reason for the delay.

Seriously, any criticism is useful, and suggestions are welcome. That's why I think if anyone has ideas for the categories, then putting them here will give us food for thought when we get around to making the changes.

Someone previously suggested a "background" category. I disagreed with it at the time because just about any image can be a background. However, I thought about it later, and I do agree with that as a category now. Suggestions give us time to think things through and discuss the pros and cons.

I looked at your site. It's really great! I've bookmarked it and will definitely return!

6. Ayla8710 March 2013, 9:01 GMT +01:00

I think it is correct that almost any image can serve as a background, but some may be more suitable than others (those with widespread motives offering much space for instance). The good thing about categories is, I think, that we should be able to assign at least three categories to each image, so the limitations are not too strict which categorisations apply where...

What I also would find very appealing would be the chance to sort the same list of categories thematically or alphabetically because the photographers and users will have different preferences when thes search for a category. Not everyone understands at one glance that there are topics with sub-topics like nature and animals etc. which belong together.
--Michael

7. ChIandra4U11 March 2013, 20:13 GMT +01:00

@5. No problem
I'll think about the list and put it here so everybody can take a look.
Another option is to cancel the category list and only work with tags.

Thanks for the compliment.
I use a lot off stock from RGB with links to this site for the projects ;-)

8. xymonau13 March 2013, 7:44 GMT +01:00

I like the idea of categories. I always use the category list on new sites to see what images they have.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera