Rgbstock forum

forum > Fun zone > 4 Letter Words

4 Letter Words

1. krayker16 July 2010, 13:45 GMT +02:00

You can only change ONE letter, AND/OR rearrange the letters currently available. The first word is:

WINS

8186. xymonau31 March 2013, 12:03 GMT +02:00

That was really kind of you, Gesine. How far apart do you guys live? How long does it take to cross from one side of Germany to the other - at the widest bit? I don't grasp the relative size of European countries just by looking at a map.

I hope you have all had a nice break over the Easter

days.

8187. Ayla871 April 2013, 10:26 GMT +02:00

Gesine, that was a very nice thought of you. Dani has left the shelter already, but she denies to eat any food in her new home and misses us, which is very sad to hear. They will try to find another new home where she may probably feel more at ease with the people there. We have the impression that she would prefer to be the only cat in her household. She is a mixture of a partly Abyssinian cat. These cats are strongly related to their human personnel.

The air-line distance Hamburg - Berlin is 255 km. The widest distance is between northern and southern Germany, 800 km. All in all it is not a very large country.

After the stress of giving Dani away I had a nice migraine attack to complete my easter weekend. No great surprise, to be honest.

Tomorrow business as usual is back again at work, but it's still hard for us not to think about poor Dani. We'd love to say it always

pays

off to try to give cats a good home, but if it doesn't work out, like in this case, it's just a pity.

8188. gesinek1 April 2013, 12:15 GMT +02:00

When Dani can

play

outside she'll be lucky again. Animal shelter is to do the best for the pet not the best for the human. It's right what you did. No need for migraine attacks or reproach yourself. Try to enjoy your easter weekend.

And driving by car makes Germany a little bit larger. Car distance Hamburg Berlin is about 290 km. And List (most north bound point in GER) and Oberstorf (most south bound point in GER) is about 1100km. Flying makes the world smaller :-)

8189. Ayla871 April 2013, 14:53 GMT +02:00

We can only

plea

that Dani tries to accept her new home in the first place. That is surely a hard situation. They will bring her into a home where she can get outside (her current home is a normal flat like ours with no outside facilities, they didn't think it was that important in the first place, now they know it better). The problem is, cats have to live a while in their new home to get acquainted with their new surrounding, before they are allowed to get out. I hope Dani shows enough patience and understanding that things will eventually get better for her. They should keep her busy long enough to forget us, so that she doesn't try to walk away and search for us. I think she lives some 50 kms away, so she won't have a chance to find us. She looks sooo harmless...
http://www.headbook.me/members/miri/Album/picture/364/

Now we have heard Dani is starving herself literally to death. She has been brought into a vet clinic to be hung onto a drip, but nobody is sure if this will help when she has given herself up. Cats can be so mulish.

8190. gesinek1 April 2013, 16:30 GMT +02:00

Oh my god, what a dramatic development. Hope the little thing get well soon and the vets in the clinic have a

plan

to help her

8191. xymonau2 April 2013, 1:25 GMT +02:00

Perhaps she should be put down. She's obviously devastated. Maybe she's had too many homes. Sometimes it's the kindest thing to do. I guess putting her on antidepressants temporarily might help and it would make her hungry, too. They often use valium. I really hope she can pick up and move forward, but she's just a cat and she doesn't understand.

I'm so sorry you've been sick over it all, Michael. You had to make a decision and the situation was obviously intolerable, so you haven't had much option. Life is full of situations that cause

pain.

8192. Ayla872 April 2013, 7:04 GMT +02:00

The doctors certainly will know how to deal professionally with the situation. For us it is all very embarassing because our decision started it all and we couldn't foresee that it would escalate so much. I think I would have met the same decision again because there really isn't much of a choice, but we still feel sort of blackmailed by the cats reaction. It's a pity she can't understand that we have to go different ways when she should have a chance to live in freedom without permanent hazzles with a cat which she can't peacefully live with. There was just no realistic chance of a peaceful future for this

pair

of cats in our company.

I will report how this adventure continues...

8193. xymonau2 April 2013, 15:30 GMT +02:00

I hope you're feeling better. Separation is unfortunately a

part

of life for man and animal. But animals do bond with humans, and it always amuses me when people try to say they don't have feelings. When you see dogs that stay by their master's grave for years on end, etc, there has to be some feeling there. But they also have some resilience like humans, and can get over things.

Is it snowing there?

8194. Ayla873 April 2013, 10:52 GMT +02:00

We have now gotten the good news that Dani has begun to eat in her new home, which is a sign that the accepts it and that things are going well now. That allows us to finally let loose, which is a great relief. This way we can begin to slowly think of Dani as part of our

past

and try to calm down a little bit. Mia shows us how to do it, she is daily progressing in her playfulness and happiness. We would like her to take on some more weight as she is now less stressed. She has always been a quiet cat, especially since she has been desexed.

I would never doubt that animals have feelings and I wouldn't be too surprised that - on some smaller level - even plants are able to "feel" how well you treat them. Not that I would actually talk to the plants in my office. I'm afraid it wouldn't be very useful, because I only have two plastic plants here. I don't have very much of a green thumb. When I want to talk, I stick to my colleagues, or the phone, or my computer. But I must say it is quite hair-raising and funny how many misinterpretations happen when I dictate something. That software isn't fully understanding what I'm trying to say, to put it friendly. Maybe with more training it will work better, but I'm not yet sure if it's worth the effort.

No fresh snow currently. There is some snowy rain forecasted for the next days, but next week we are supposed to slowly get some spring temperatures over here.

8195. xymonau3 April 2013, 14:26 GMT +02:00

That's great news, Michael. What a relief for you. and I hope Mia comes out of her shell. I'm sure she will eventually.

As for plants, I know if you feed them garbage and water them every so often, they really thrive. I seem to have a green thumb with livening up plants, but I don't grow much. Mostly herbs and things given to me as gifts right now. I don't like getting my hands dirty. But I always can get leafy greens to become a vivid dark green, with just allowing things like peanuts, bird droppings or meat to decompose in the soil. It works better than artificial fertiliser, and as long as you don't put salty or fatty stuff, works like a treat. However, I did manage to murder an amazing orchid, so the thumb wasn't green at that time. I over watered it. That's the

last

time I try to have fancy plants. It was a gift from my workmates when I was sick last year, so I felt really bad that it died. I never told them.

I'm starting to think about taking a trip to New Zealand at some time. It's quite inexpensive from here. I have no passport, so I'd have to organise that. And I'd have to feel a bit better than I do currently, but I'm thinking it might be a good thing. It's a beautiful country. I'd only go to the North island, though. They had such severe earthquakes on the South island that I don't trust it, and lots of lives were lost. I also hate flying, but it's only a few hours away.

8196. Ayla874 April 2013, 13:42 GMT +02:00

We have the feeling that Mia still continues to improve on a daily basis, which I think is quite

fast

and I wouldn't take that as a matter of course to continue this way, but it would be great of course. I'm curious to see where it will end up. We hope for quite a lot more of improvements to come after months of suppression. She has some accumulated needs obviously.

I think it is not very difficult to murder orchids. I could prove that I'm talented in this direction, too. They are very demanding. As soon as you give them a drop too much water, they won't ever talk to you again.

Here in Berlin you are obliged to have a passport, which is valid for ten years. You have to renew it in time, otherwise you are committing an administrative offence and will have to pay for it. You will have to pay for each renewal of your passport, too, of course (some 25 €). Other than showing it around when you travel the passport is not very useful in common life. It might be used to identify yourself online (eg in online shops, so that it's not necessary to manually type the whole address), if you have a keyboard with a cardreader on it, but who has a keyboard with a cardreader for those microchips? Thats all still a bit like science fiction...

New Zealand sounds like a really nice goal for a trip. What we have seen from it in movies looks really beautiful. I don't like flying either, the air pressure on my ears is always hard to bear and I don't know where to put my legs all the time in those cramped seat rows. Anticipation is what makes traveling a great joy for me, and I would travel more often if I wouldn't have to be afraid of those migraine attacks. Tell me more when your plans procede. It's always so good to have something to look forward to. Gives you such a lot of motivation...

8197. Groningen4 April 2013, 14:10 GMT +02:00

good news about Mia and Dani, the last few days the pessimistic news

cast

a gloom over me (can you even say that in English???).

Q: When Dez is visiting New Zealand will she go to the locations where LOTR and the Hobbit were filmed?

8198. xymonau4 April 2013, 14:26 GMT +02:00

I have friends to

stay

with on the North Island, but I don't really know where it was filmed. Maybe I'll get to go. I would like to go sight-seeing, but I'm as much interested in seeing the friends. I couldn't stay very long because of work issues, and because I've had a lot of time off, I'd have to leave it for a while. Just a pipe dream right now, but I'll try to sort out a passport in the meantime.

Your English was fine, Christine. :o)

8199. Ayla874 April 2013, 14:32 GMT +02:00

Christine, you have caught the point. I think New Zealand was the secret

star

of those movies with those great landscapes. I always wonder if such filming locations are within reasonable reach for normal tourists or if you need a helicopter or some other special equipment to get there or are heavily disapointed because it's all photoshopped...

But then, we still have to show Dez some real snow...

8200. xymonau4 April 2013, 15:42 GMT +02:00

Oh, I might see it over there. It's a cold place. I think a lot of New Zealand is accessible. And it's quite small (compared to here) so it doesn't take that long to get from point a to b.

I never watched those movies. They never really appealed to me, for some reason, even though I like science fiction and people like Terry Pratchett. I've seen parts of them only. But the landscape is lovely.

In recent years movie makers have turned to the Southern hemisphere for locations that give a fresh look to their films. Landscapes that are very different and not commonly visited, and cities that aren't easily recognised.

It bugs me that Australian countryside is usually linked to the stereotype of whichever country (usually the US) is producing the film. People still seem to get off on the Crocodile Dundee image - which can be funny and entertaining, but it's simply not the only thing here. The most accurate thing about that original film was the sardonic sense of humour, not the bush hat, etc.

The

arts

have a profound effect on the impression people have of a particular country. And certain countries really get off on putting other cultures down or treating them like cute fluffy animals - both of which are insulting or patronising, and do nothing to further mutual respect.

8201. Ayla875 April 2013, 7:04 GMT +02:00

Arts are like journalists, I think, they live mostly from satisfying the people's needs to make complex things simple and graspable. Tell everybody what he wants to hear. It certainly has to do with those self-fulfilling prophecies, too. Unfortunately the mass media with the lowest standards is best able to influence the public opinion, which doesn't make things better. Those newspapers with the capital letters on the covers always sell best...

There are obviously quite a lot of things going on around us which could work better. We hear of new fear of

wars

rising up between north and south corea for example, they pretend not even to shy back to play with atomic bombs again, so some guys will never learn to be diplomatic, the demonstration of power is obviously the only thing they have been teached in the cradle.

8202. xymonau5 April 2013, 8:56 GMT +02:00

It's all a part of a bigger game, to get everyone to be so fearful and tired of conflict that they will give up their rights for the sake of security, but really it's a return to Fascism, and exactly what the powerful and wealthy individuals and organisations want. All the most powerful people have touted the "new world order", meaning a one world government, and it is going to happen. God help us all. At the upper echelons, the leaders of even Communist countries are in on it and friendly with certain people. A bit of posturing will lead people in what used to be free countries to reach for their pens and sign away their sovereignty seeking protection. And if the posturing doesn't work, drop a few bombs on the people who are least valuable, and then everyone will really freak out. 9/11 was the classic example of manipulation. It worked well, too. I'd watch what comes out of the N. Korean spectacle. What changes will the United States or other western countries make to legislation as a direct result. You have to read the fine print and less popular news stories to glean that information. Every war has been a setup and manipulated from behind the scenes. No-one would fight at all unless there was a dollar in it and someone to stir up imaginary things. We're far too lazy.

So there is my rant for the day. I may not

sway

your beliefs, but I firmly believe in what I said.

8203. Ayla875 April 2013, 13:08 GMT +02:00

I don't feel impressed at all when I see the N. Korean military parades on tv, it isn't appealing for me to live in a state which relies on this kind of "arguments". And I still have difficulties to understand how people like Hitler ever could come to power. He doesn't look like I ever would like to buy something from him. Raspy toad (sorry for the toads because of the comparison). No charm at all.

I'm generally not very optimistic as far as the political and economical development of our world is concerned. Too many hungry people out there, too many unsolved problems, badly managed resources and responsibilities, too much egoism, so I think you can forget about that.

we should

swap

this world for a better place if you know someone who has one to spare.

8204. xymonau6 April 2013, 14:59 GMT +02:00

If you look the subject of Hitler up on Google, you'll find which religious organisation backed him and got him into power.

We're all expected to live in the matrix of lies, when really we're just units of production. Fortunately, the new Fascism hasn't gained full control yet. It will. It's inevitable.

I believe the bible talks of a better place, and that's our best hope.

There - politics and religion. Guaranteed to end friendships! LOL

I'll have to

snap

out of it soon and go to bed. I'm getting tired.

I had the cortisone injection into my wrist, but it has only been about 50% effective so far. I can use some of my fingers, but my thumb is still very painful and weak. I'm hoping it might get a bit better yet, but at least I've had a margin of relief.

8205. Groningen7 April 2013, 14:29 GMT +02:00

sweet dreams Dez!

Peas

and carrots make a wonderful meal.

8206. Ayla878 April 2013, 7:15 GMT +02:00

Oh yes, it would be nice to finally end up in a better place one day, but I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to rely on that perspective. Perhaps I'm a slightly little bit too pessimistic for that, but I'd gladly come and be positively surprised. I think it's always

easy

to end up happier when you don't start with too high expectations. Now tell me, what do you think this better place will look like. Do you think there will be any snow?

Don't you think that it may take some time for the cortisone injection to work its miracles? As far as I know cortisone is no strictly "acute" medicine. I think it influences on a more long-term basis.

Christine, I agree. We had a nice sate with carrots and noodles yesterday.

8207. xymonau8 April 2013, 13:45 GMT +02:00

I don't know what it is about peas and carrots, but they do go together, particularly with potatoes and gravy. Pumpkin and peas, too.

What will the better place look like? Here's the best description I have heard: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+22&version=KJV
No pressure, and peace of mind in a place where there is only love. (And no ever-burning hell, either.)

I like the poetry of the old version. There's a lot of theology to be said about it all, but the descriptive parts really appeal to me.

Re the cortisone, I was told it would work after 24 hours, and it's not getting any better now. I won't complain, as I've had some relief. I can use my hand a lot more now, so it has been a great improvement. Before I had to brush my teeth and hair with both hands together. Now I can use my hand again. A bit sore at times, but so much better.

However - and it's a big however - I was called in to the doctor's urgently today. I had a blood test last week. The results were unusual, and may mean I have something nasty. I won't go into it. There are false positives, and I'm actually sure that's all it is. But it has given me a niggling worry all the same.

I had to have more blood taken today. That is such a drama. I have no veins left since my stint in hospital last year, and I get butchered every time. Last week they dug around three times and finally got the blood. It was the same today. They managed to pop a vein in the back of my (sore) hand, and I walked out all taped up and with a bandaged hand. I was in there for about 45 minutes with heat pads and everything they could do to get my veins bigger. I'm almost past caring, but they still hurt me. I don't know how long it will take to get the results, but the doctor said he'd call me as soon as they came back. I am a bit anxious, but generally trying not to think about it.

I always seem to get back to the

same

spot, but I want to improve my health, not end up worse. Never mind, today I feel the same as I did yesterday, and I'm sure I'm fine. I'll be seeing the rheumatologist on Friday, but I will also be seeing my granddaughters as well, and I'm looking forward to that. And the endless games of hide and seek in a motel room. *sigh* :o)

8208. Ayla879 April 2013, 13:19 GMT +02:00

The bad thing about the better place is that I will have trouble to find you because you are so hard to recognise from your avatar photo. We should arrange

some

additional means of identification, especially if you consider that it might be quite crowded there with everyone gathering there and no one ever wanting to leave.

The doctors obviously like your blood very much, as they can't get enough of it. When they want to see you that urgently it must be really nasty. I hope you have an idea by now what is going on with the results of all that torment.

I had raised blood values a few weeks ago which might have been an indication of hepatitis. Might be a side effect of my migraine prophylaxis pills, so my neurologist was quite nervous about it. It turned out to be totally harmless - a result of the 'flu I had at that time. So there you go with those false positives. Luckily I have veins which pop into your face when I roll up my sleeve, so it was no problem for me to have several blood tests in a row.

It's nice that you will have the opportunity to see your granddaughters so soon again (even if they are a year older now, I think you will still recognise them).

Mia plays in the meantime quite enthusiastic with a marble on our laminate (we have that in all rooms except for kitchen and bathroom), which is quite loud and accompanied by a lot of banging it against cupboards, skirting and the like. She is quite good at playing paw-ball.
http://www.rgbstock.com/photo/mOYjTK8/

Now if you're curious, here is what our kitchen flooring looks like:
http://www.rgbstock.com/photo/mSVhxES/
There is obviously a lot to be found on RGB already, if you know how to find it...

8209. xymonau9 April 2013, 14:36 GMT +02:00

I'll wear a carnation in my hair. :o)

That looks really nice. I'm sure the cat would go crazy with a marble. Best toy ever, particularly on a hard floor. I'm glad she seems to be settling down. Once they are the boss cat, life changes.

I have large tiles in my kitchen/dining area and bathrooms, and carpet everywhere else. I dislike carpet. It's high maintenance and not hygienic, in my opinion. I wouldn't dare take a photo right now. I haven't vacuumed the floor for several days.

Speaking of floors, I have a faulty washing machine that won't stop letting water in when it's full. It does sometimes, but it has been like this for years, and I just keep an eye on it and turn the water off if I have to. It hasn't been too bad most of the time. Yesterday the darn thing overflowed all over the bathroom floor (its located in a little alcove behind folding doors in the bathroom) and on out to the kitchen. I was racing around madly trying to grab towels to stop it. What a mess. I think it might be time for a repair, or even to get a new machine. This one is about 12 or 13 years old. It has been really reliable otherwise, and is a big machine that doesn't tie your clothes in knots while it washes them. I'll have to get back to work and start earning some money before I splash out on anything. And I'll have to watch the darn thing with eagle eyes in future!

I did go to work for a few hours today to complete a report. I'm getting cabin fever from being at home most of the time.

No, I haven't heard back from the doctor yet. I'm hoping I will by tomorrow - but only if it's good news. :o) Bad news can take a few days off.

I'm glad you didn't have hepatitis. I had hepA when I was a child. It was fairly common in those days. I remember being as sick as a dog for weeks. Nasty illness. Naturally, it's a short term thing, unlike the other kinds. Working with homeless men brings me a lot closer to all the blood borne infections. Fortunately, I don't have any physical contact with them, so it would only be things like tuberculosis (the modern strains of it), etc, that would be a worry.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera