Rgbstock forum

forum > Fun zone > 4 Letter Words

4 Letter Words

1. krayker16 July 2010, 13:45 GMT +02:00

You can only change ONE letter, AND/OR rearrange the letters currently available. The first word is:

WINS

8258. xymonau30 April 2013, 11:22 GMT +02:00

Well, we used to celebrate Labour day in May, but this year it has been moved to October because all our public holidays fell in the early part of the year, and they felt it was good to have one to look forward to later. Some States celebrate it in March now. I'd like another holiday right about now.

The bank phoned me today. At this point there is a problem because of all the time I had off sick, and they are asking for more documentation. It will be another week before I hear from them, and it is getting closer to the financial settlement date, so I'm starting to think it might not happen. I'll be sad, but it's okay if it doesn't go through. I'll accept that it's not meant to be and think about what else I can do. I'm not all that well off, so if I don't get this house, I may not find another that I can afford. Back to the motorhome idea, I guess!

Yes, Christine, we call them mealworms, too. I did buy some for my goldfish once, and they loved them. (I don't have the fish any more.) I agree I wouldn't want to have them crawling around the place.

Michael, I'm glad you're getting time to relax. Sometimes we just need to disconnect for a while.

8259. Ayla8730 April 2013, 14:18 GMT +02:00

I think it is a good idea to have the public holidays fairly spread over the year. You don't even have the problem that at winter times the wheather would be far too cold or nasty to make something useful outside.

It doesn't sound good when the bank asks picky questions about sickness. Because I'm a civil servant the regulations are in my case that I will always get my full salary, no matter how long I'm off sick, so that would never matter for the bank here. Is that different in your case? Over here most employees begin to face financial losses only when they are sick for longer than six weeks in a row. Then the health insurance company has to start to pay for you, and it usually pays less than your boss.

But the bank can't earn money if they don't hand any dollars out to you and let them all

rust

in their own cellar... I think it would be a pity to let go with a house that close within reach...

Perhaps I'm suffering from Spring fever, Frühjahrsmüdigkeit, Spring tiredness,, so I really look forward to that day off tomorrow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_fever

8260. Groningen30 April 2013, 20:30 GMT +02:00

O it would be a shame if the deal fell through Dez, but I'm glad you're not stressed (I would be severely stressed).
Michael I am getting a running wheel, the people who sell me Ed and Willem own a web-shop with lots of gerbil goodies including running wheels. I did sent them an email on Saturday but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Today is a Dutch holiday; that may be the cause.
http://www.gerbil.nl/webshop/gerbil-loopwielen/133-loopwiel-zwart.html

(I hope I'm not starting a discussion on politics again).
When Margaret Thatcher (the Iron Lady) died; my newspaper printed a cartoon...

"Rust

in peace"

8261. Groningen1 May 2013, 21:05 GMT +02:00

I've bought this one

http://www.gerbil.nl/webshop/gerbil-loopwielen/134-loopwiel-22-5-cm.html

the other wheel was sold out.

Tomorrow I am going to make their home ready
Friday I am going to collect them
if all goes well you should see photos on Facebook in the weekend

8262. Ayla872 May 2013, 6:53 GMT +02:00

I'm sure this wheel is

just

perfect and you will see them running there for hours. We had mice for many years and they were running endlessly, too. In fact we had cats and mice at the same time, so the mice in the glass tank were like a special live TV programme for the cats. Maybe we had some frustrated cats because they couldn't get into the tank...

8263. Groningen2 May 2013, 19:42 GMT +02:00

It is the first time that I bought a running wheel. I am a bit worried that the sound of the wheel going on for hours, will drive me

nuts!

But pets do deserve the best care, so I'll have to get used to it.

8264. Ayla873 May 2013, 7:02 GMT +02:00

Welcome to GERBIL DAY :) The wheel shouldn't squeak too loud, and if it does maybe it needs a bit of gerbil-friendly oil. But it really should run quite smoothly. The happy smile on Ed an Willems faces will be worth all the effort when they run their marathons. This equipment will win you their hearts at once and

puts

their new home into position of being heaven on earth.

8265. xymonau3 May 2013, 12:34 GMT +02:00

Exciting times with the new babies, Christine. I hope their transition goes smoothly.

Michael, in this country we get two weeks sick pay per year. Most jobs have four weeks holidays, but an extra if you work shift work. You get nothing when that runs out. Since I have had at least three months off work all together in the last 12 months, I have been without income for most of it. If you were sick for more than six weeks after using up all your leave and savings, then you can get Sickness Benefits of $450 or so per fortnight. This wouldn't even pay the rent for most people. We have a much harsher system than it used to be. And that goes for Government employees, too. The Queensland Government has sacked about 12 to 15,000 public servants - or is in the process of so doing. I have friends who lost their jobs. One is a welfare worker for a mental health service, the other is a cleaner in a TAFE (state) college. They just made all these cutbacks and to hell with the poor workers. Hospitals are understaffed anyway, and a huge number of the reductions have been made in hospitals. It disgusts me. A right wing government currently in this State, but the left is becoming as bad.

I'm just so grateful for having work currently. Our parent company is being bought out by a very large national housing provider, and when we change hands, there may be some changes. I hope my job remains, but there is nothing I can do. The company seems ethical enough.

I think we all face times of uncertainty, particularly these days.

Christine, I laughed at that joke. Not political at all. :0P (And even if it was, debate doesn't mean war, just debate.)

8266. Ayla873 May 2013, 13:19 GMT +02:00

Two weeks sick pay per year really isn't much. It makes you

push

your head under your arms and go to work, if you are feeling well or not... And you don't have snow either. But then there are interesting specialities like your Queenslanders which we don't have here...

Generally I have the impression that economics get harder and harder, that seems to be an endless spiral till we all run away (if there is anywhere to run to) or rust in peace...

You won't believe it, but Berlins Government has sacked more than 200,000 public servants since 1991. You know, because of the wall we had more than usual people here working for the state in this single city. It was more or less a question of keeping things going somehow. Times have changed a lot since then. But because we have many old aged government employees there will be 30.000 going into pension during the next five years here in Berlin. My problem is: I will still have to work longer than that, and all the work remains to be done, and they are not willing to replace those 30,000... I will have trouble then to find the time to write four lettered words, I'm afraid...

When will you hear more about possible restructurations because of the new ownership of your parent company?

8267. xymonau3 May 2013, 14:44 GMT +02:00

We have a guarantee that we will not be worse off, but any company can restructure to get rid of the dross. And there is some, but we won't get into that on a public forum. I think things might be fairly stable for a while. It would only be if they had higher standards or wanted to change direction that we might struggle. They seem ethical, though, even building homes in third world countries, and I think they have preserved jobs in their previous takeovers. Again, I have to be philosophical, and just go with the flow, wherever that takes me.

Yes, the sick pay limit means people crawl into work and spread contagion around everywhere. I don't think that will change. Australians have a long, proud history of "chucking sickies". (Taking a day off as a sick day when you're perfectly well.) We're a bad lot, mark my words...

Wow - that's a lot of people. There must have been a lot of social upheaval for all kinds of reasons at that time. I am so grateful to live a long way from war. We really are so lucky here. We were bombed in WW2 by the Japanese around Darwin and lots died, but it was nothing compared to the misery Europe and other places like Africa experienced at that time. And Russia under Stalin.

8268. Groningen3 May 2013, 19:57 GMT +02:00

Shhhht Willem and Ed are sleeping!

They've had an exciting day with an hourlong ride in a car and then a brand new home with all exciting smells! They played and ran and have been digging around for hours. They even drank and ate a little bit. And they love the coconuts :D
But they have not used the running wheel yet, they crawled under it and sniffed at it and when I made the wheel turn they looked surprised; but no running.
I have put three photo's on my FB profile.
Willem's pelt has a

lush

sheen, he is almost all black except for a white patch on his nose.
Ed has beautiful big eyes.
Sigh, love!

8269. xymonau4 May 2013, 0:43 GMT +02:00

I can't see your profile. Can you put a link or upload them somewhere else? Are you going to put some on RGB? You make me clucky for a new pet! I can't give in, though, because I'm so often away. My poor birds are all I can manage.

Are you able to handle them, Christine? Are they relaxed with that?

I guess they will accidentally discover the fun of the wheel, or might you have to put them in it?

8270. xymonau4 May 2013, 2:08 GMT +02:00

Re Labour day - people here are not happy. Not my town, but interesting that they are protesting. I'm wondering if there is anything happening elsewhere in the State.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/unions-rally-for-rocky-march-labour-day-marchers/1854584/

I keep forgetting the word, sorry.

shun

8271. xymonau4 May 2013, 17:25 GMT +02:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbvqSCs-FoE&feature=player_embedded

A cat trained fairly well. You can see the food reward works well.

8272. Groningen4 May 2013, 19:33 GMT +02:00

they are not hand tame yet
but I handle them for a short time every day
they will get used to it eventually
I tried to change my FB profile
friends of friends should be able to see the photos now?
Maybe I make a gerbil FB account?

puns

8273. xymonau5 May 2013, 4:02 GMT +02:00

I'll have a look. I hope you'll be able to take some photos of them for here eventually. Do they bite? When I gave my mice away, one fastened on the throat of the little girl who was holding it. She was screaming, and all we could do was laugh. It was hanging there for dear life.

punt

8274. Ayla875 May 2013, 8:30 GMT +02:00

I looked again right now, Christine, and the photos are still not visible. I think I will never be a great FB fan, the system is not very user friendly... Even Mia tries to look as best as she can, but Ed and Willem are nowhere to be seen
http://www.rgbstock.com/photo/o4Ra3Ni/outlook

Thanks for the nice comment and the like on this photo, Dez. It was very fresh from yesterday. Sunshine over here and the camera ready at hand... We drag the scratching post in front of our living room window for Mia every day to give her the opportunity to virtually

hunt

the birds...

It's great to hear, Dez, that your new company owner gave a guarantee that you will not be worse off.

The video of a cat trained fairly well can't be watched over here due to copyright reasons (copyrights for the music used in the video)...

8275. xymonau6 May 2013, 9:05 GMT +02:00

Just a very quick note - the bank has approved the loan, but subject to the property valuation. I'm thrilled. It can still fall through, but fingers crossed!

hung

8276. Ayla876 May 2013, 9:29 GMT +02:00

That sounds great. My feeling is still that they won't

hang

you. You say the sum we are talking about is not toooooo high, so the property should be able to cover that value. I think that's all what counts. I add my amount of fingers to the crossing. Do you have any idea how long the building inspector will take for his inspection?

8277. xymonau6 May 2013, 10:04 GMT +02:00

Well, the valuation will take maybe three days, and I'm hoping I can book the inspection this week. Unfortunately I have to go to Brisbane on Friday. Maybe he can do it really early and I'd still have time to get there. I have no energy to panic, but I need to start doing so, as the move is big. Still, I can pay rent here until I'm ready.

Dang

(if I may use an Americanism)

This is pretty good.

8278. Ayla876 May 2013, 13:09 GMT +02:00

Three days from dusk till

dawn?

That's pretty thorough and will tell you a lot about the house. You will get lots of ideas what can be renovated if you should ever win a lottery... But I'm afraid the details will also be hard to understand because I would expect a lot of techno-babble... I hope he will explain how serious his findings really are in plain words... That asbestos may be a killer-phrase for the bank for example (certainly not rising the value), but then on the other hand it is hard to find a house of that age without it...

8279. xymonau6 May 2013, 14:34 GMT +02:00

Oh, sorry - I meant it may take that long to organise. I think it just takes a few hours. The fellow I want (if he can do it) has infra red or something that can "see" in the tight corners. they are mainly looking for termites, but also other structural things. They don't check electrical things or water pipes, although if there were obvious leaks they would be noted. The house is unlikely to have asbestos insulation, but the fibro in the garage is made with asbestos. As long as it is not flaking, and preferably kept painted, it won't cause many problems.

The stumps are my first concern, although I would like to get the bathroom and kitchen fixed up a bit as well. I'm not made of money, so I'll have to ensure the structure is sound and pretty it up as I can afford to. I haven't got a big yard, but I am already thinking I want to plant some fruit trees and a vege garden, as well as grow some fresh seeds for the birds. They love eating seeds off the stem. I once grew oats for them and they absolutely loved them.

I need a magic

wand

to set up the first things. After that, it's downhill all the way.

As for the valuation, the land is worth the most. I think they'll take that into account. There is a planned coal mine to open a distance from here, but not that far. Not my idea of good, but hopefully it will be far enough away not to affect us directly. Prices would skyrocket if that happens. Also, it is so much cheaper than most houses for sale. I saw one that sold for a similar price recently (a much better house, too) but I haven't seen any others in this price range at all. As long as the bank thinks I can fix anything serious, I believe I'll get it.

There is excitement and dread - so much work - but I'm so glad it seems to be happening. No more three monthly inspections of the rented propertiy. I find that so intrusive.

You know what the biggest joke is? I had to do less paperwork to buy a house than I did to rent one.

8280. Groningen6 May 2013, 18:35 GMT +02:00

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Dez!
Have you ever tried to grow millet?
Birds (and gerbils) love eating that too.

I have made some changes to the gerbil tank.
I've temporarily removed the running wheel and I've put in a lot more straw en extra carton rolls. Ed loves digging around, you should see the bedding flying around haha. Luckily it stays in the tank. Maybe they

want

the running wheel when they have grown a bit.

8281. xymonau6 May 2013, 22:23 GMT +02:00

I have often accidentally grown millet when I emptied their seed containers, and they do love that, too. Unfortunately, in rented premises, you don't always have somewhere to do that. In my current place I have concrete everywhere, with a patch of garden out front. However, that garden is dealt with by a gardener, who poisons everything. He even managed to kill two flowering shrubs with his poison.

I saw them on Facebook, and I love the tank. You've made them a gorgeous little home. I'm sure they will eventually learn how to use the wheel. Do you have a garden where you can put the old straw to compost?

I

can't

imagine how cute they would be to watch for hours. It sounds like you're already learning their different personalities.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera