Rgbstock forum

forum > Fun zone > 4 Letter Words

4 Letter Words

1. krayker16 July 2010, 13:45 GMT +02:00

You can only change ONE letter, AND/OR rearrange the letters currently available. The first word is:

WINS

8402. xymonau29 June 2013, 2:13 GMT +02:00

LOL - Well, if I let it go, it just might end up looking like that! You can't really see the termites as they dig down deep into the ground and follow the tree roots. My infestation looks like a stump - nothing more. But the insect guy has listening devices for spying on termite conversations. He heard them whispering their fiendish plots. There was obviously a large tree there before.

In Australia termites are a huge problem as they are part of the environment. In Queensland traditional houses are made of timber because our winters are relatively mild and it's more important to be able to cool them in summer (well, that was pre-air conditioning days, anyway). Naturally, termites love wood. I've seen houses eaten right out by them, where your finger would go right through the papery walls, but it's hard to tell until the worst damage is done. I think I might get me a pet echidna!

Your sisters are twins? My granddaughters are identical twins, too. They don't look identical facially, but their bodies are exactly the same (one is very slightly bigger). Their mother thought they were just sibling twins, but she put them in a dental research program, and the program did a genetic test and determined that they were identical. I was convinced all along that they were. As babies, apart from the size, you couldn't tell them apart. But everyone told me it was wishful thinking. LOL Are your sisters very much alike? And are their personalities alike? My granddaughters are completely different. And even though they share a bond, they dislike each other.

Well, you're a young whipper snapper, Christine! I turn 58 on Monday. I hope someone buys me a walking stick for my birthday. I'm going to need it soon! LOL I have three sisters. I think they are (almost) 65 and 67, and one has turned 67 (one is adopted, hence the similar age). I had another half sister who died in 1991. She would have been 79 this year. So I'm the rather old baby of the family. My mother died in 1985 and my father in 1990. Although I keep in touch with my sisters, we are not close. I think the age difference was a factor, as they left home while I was still young.

I think knitting in summer makes sense - although handling woollen garments in hot weather wouldn't be fun. After all you need the warm things when the cold weather begins.

I borrowed some knitting needles from a woman at work. I think they might be too small in length - they seem really tiny. Given everything I have to do - packing to move - I might not be starting my grand scarf for a while. We'll see. I was told I shouldn't knit with my wrist problems, but I still have the burning urge to do so. I can always stop if it hurts.

Today has turned out cold and overcast, with occasional drizzly rain. I don't feel like doing anything, so this is my do nothing day, and I'll have to be good tomorrow and clean my dirty house. I might even go back to bed for a sleep later. It's a hard life, but someone's got to do it...

apse

8403. Groningen30 June 2013, 19:19 GMT +02:00

LOL @ termite-plots
a WikiLeakes for termites might solve that!

My sisters look alike a lot and their voices are very similar but since one of them went to live in Germany she has taken up an accent and she uses German words randomly, funny. Before that I couldn't keep their voices apart.
Their personalities are distinctly different, my sister in Germany loves plants and working in the garden and digging in the earth; my other sister (the older of the twins by 10 minutes) is afraid of getting dirt under her fingernails. She works as a recovery-nurse (post operation) so she is not afraid of human filth of which I am terrified; brrr.

Do make a picture of your knitting, is useful stock material
LOL I almost wrote sock material :-)
just knit for half an hour that would not strain your wrist too much I think?

I am having some difficulties knitting a decent glove but I will persevere hum hum
but it is tricky knitting a glove that is too small for your own hand.

seep

8404. Ayla871 July 2013, 7:42 GMT +02:00

Now, I better won't start to sing, but -- Happy birthday, Dez! Look ahead to an amazing rollercoaster year where you can actively pursue a marvelous and exciting portion of happy living to your own liking and taste. I wish you a great portion of health and strength which you may need in case of one or another little drawback, but with your usual and well deserved portion of optimism that shouldn't go wrong.

I'm sure that Step by

step

you'll be building a wonderful place for you to live luckily and happier than ever.

I'm back at work now, still trying do dig through all that is waiting here for me after 14 days of absence.

8405. xymonau1 July 2013, 12:17 GMT +02:00

Thank you, Michael. That's really kind. You remembered. I'm so bad at remembering other people's birthdays. If I write them down, I'm good.

I had a normal work day, and all I did was buy a nice sandwich for lunch. My son phoned - and his daughters - and one of them said, "We've made you something but we're not allowed to tell". It seems they will be posting the mysterious gift, and I'll get it later this week.

Other than that, it was a bit of a non-event. It's nice to have completed another trip around the sun. It would be a

pest

if I hadn't managed it.

Ah, human filth - I was a nurse in my teens. I started my training, but never completed it. I didn't mind most of the horrible stuff, but sputum was the killer for me. I would just about throw up. And we had to take samples of it with tweezers and put it in jars. I laugh a bit about it now, but if I had to do it again, I'd be sick for sure. I was always better at dealing with people's emotions than their physical maladies. And I was too young. I started at 16 years and 9 months old. That's far too young to deal with the stress of it all.

Do you like gardening, Christine? I hope to plant something in my new place. Definitely paw-paw trees. And a patch of pumpkins. But I want to get the broken things fixed first. I'm going to try to fix the rollers on the sliding doors myself. I'm not sure what kind they are, but I think it isn't hard. It's whether I can lift them and have the strength in my hands to get the screws out, etc.

I still haven't started the knitting. But it's a good idea to take some photos. Are you going to post any of yours on here? Even photos of the wool should make good stock.

Michael, how is Mimi? And did you enjoy your time off? It's always a bit crazy when you go back to work after time off. I hope you catch up quickly.

8406. gesinek1 July 2013, 16:41 GMT +02:00

Happy birthday Dez, I wish you, that all your dreams come true. Have a nice day.

Here the young people start at 17 their training to become a nurse or one of the other professions (OTA, ATA, = technical assistants for operations or anasthesia, or paramedics). And for a lot of them it is really to early. Which makes the number of people who are availiable in such professions increases very, very, slowly.

When I hear all that things about knitting I think may be I should start it again. But normally I'm not patient enough to finish a sweater or something like that, and my socks are every time from different size, because sometimes I knit more loose and sometimes more tight...

Michael I also had a week off. And today morning I can't believe my clock is ringing cause I had to go to work.

8407. Groningen1 July 2013, 16:49 GMT +02:00

Happy Birthday Dez and many more years in good health to you!

And good luck Michael on your back-at-work-after-vacation day.

I am a terrible gardner, my plants always die, inside and outside. So I have no garden and two balconies with no plants or anything green on them, unless you count the algen-carpet on the balcony floor.

Photo's? Me taking photo's of that decrepit glove? Nooooooo.
I won't show you until I have made a decent one.
Photograph the wool? That could work mmmmmm

no new video's of Ed&Willem, sorry.

past

8408. xymonau2 July 2013, 23:49 GMT +02:00

Thank you, Gesine and Christine.

Gesine, I began as an assistant nurse, then started my training when I turned 17. I don't know what the age is these days (that was 40 years ago), but you could work with patients at 16 years and 9 months in those days, and in that State (I wasn't in Queensland). I think people need more life experience before they're let loose on sick patients. And God preserve us from young social workers! I have never had a competent worker who was younger than 30. They just haven't had enough crises of their own to understand people.

Gesine, that's exactly my problem with knitting and crochet - I can't maintain the tension exactly. But a scarf is very forgiving! LOL

I discovered I am not bad at keeping plants alive and flourishing. It's just food and water, and water them only lightly. Pots - once a week. Or if they're outside, only when the soil is beginning to dry. I feel the leaves, and if they feel nice and fleshy they can usually go another day without watering. But I did manage to kill the really expensive and beautiful orchid I was given last year. I had no idea about orchids and I thought they needed more water. I killed the roots and the poor thing dies. I felt terrible. And I have killed off a few things in pots from neglect recently. I lose interest, or it starts to be too much trouble, and I get a bit lazy.

Gesine and Michael, getting back to work is painful. My condolences. LOL

step

8409. Ayla873 July 2013, 11:58 GMT +02:00

Getting back to work was painful, too painful for my head -- migraine stroke quite heavily. So I had another day off yesterday unvoluntarily.

A fast way to

stop

me all over again...

109 E-Mails waiting for me at work after only two weeks of absence obviously were a bit too much.

The time off was fine, it was really relaxing and felt good. Good to recharge the batteries.

Mimi is making good progress, faster than we could have expected. She is still playing like crazy with a cloth mouse, but only on her own, we dare not disturb her then. We are not allowed to join the game. That was different with Mia, where we could play together with her with lots of toys. Mimis interaction with us still has to improve, she is still a bit shy and she won't come to greet us when we come back home after a walk, but she comes to join us on my bed at evening hours when we watch TV.

8410. gesinek3 July 2013, 16:30 GMT +02:00

Getting back to work isn't really painful. We have a nice and good team. Nevertheless I would know a lot of other things I could do in that time.

But hey, next days off will come in august. We'll go to a golden wedding in Aachen. There we go to the three countries edge of Belgium, Netherlands and Germany to get the best french fries you ever had. Aaannnnd... it's racing time again. This time in Most (CZE). I'm looking forward for that.

shop

8411. Groningen3 July 2013, 18:56 GMT +02:00

http://www.brutus-zwolle.nl/?juli-2013,892

so sweet, i posted this on FB too
If you click on the link and look at the smaller pictures on the right and the second from above you see a doggie lying on his back
that is Rijk (pronounced Rike) and he is a wired haired dachshund of three and owned by my oldest sister, yes the nurse.
He is dog of the month July!!
Rijk loves a belly-rub and he doesn't mind who gives it :-)
Brustus is a walking-the-dog-if-you-don't-have-time-we-will-do-it-for-you-service

Gesine if you are at the three countries edge give the Netherlands a wave will you?
Best fries? Hmmmmm, what a pity I live so far away.

And ladies if you are getting really interesting in knitting I have found a knitting community (crochet too)
http://www.ravelry.com/
Lots of tips and free patterns!

posh

8412. gesinek3 July 2013, 19:41 GMT +02:00

Of course I'll give a wave Christine. And I think the fries are so delicious caus it is a special place for me. In my memory they where outrageous expensive but... they where good. Here in northern germany fries taste more boring.

I saw the little dog on FB. As I said: So cute and congratulations.

I found all the needles again you need for knitting and I have to buy wool now. And I saved the link.

May be next years race series of my husband will leed us to Assen. That's not far away isn't it?

push

8413. xymonau3 July 2013, 22:58 GMT +02:00

Michael, I'm sorry you had another headache. I hope you're feeling better. Yes, it's the emails that are always waiting for me when I've been away. Most are not important, but wading through them is a challenge.

I saw the little dog on Facebook, Christine. So cute. I love dogs, but I can't give a dog the companionship they need, and I don't have as much patience as I used to. If I ever did get another, it would have to be an older dog. On that site, is there a prize for dog of the month, or is it picked from photos?

Europe is so exotic to me. I would like to visit one day, but I'm unlikely to get there. Although we have the American influence with McDonalds, etc, we still call them chips here. There is a place in Brisbane that makes the most delicious chips I've ever had. I don't know what fat they use, but the flavour and texture are perfect. Whenever I have the chance, I take my son, his partner and the girls and we have breakfast there, and always finish off with a big bowl of chips. They give aioli and two other sauces with them for dipping.

I'm not sure I'll get started on my knitting until after I move. I will have to get some proper needles. The ones I borrowed are not the right size. And I'm almost guaranteed to lose anything I start during the move.

The bank phoned me yesterday. They sent me the wrong paperwork, and I have to have yet another form witnessed by a JP. It seems the land I signed for was the first place I was looking at buying. Pretty clumsy mistake. And that place has been under contract again and is back on the market. I don't think they will ever sell it.

shut

8414. Ayla874 July 2013, 6:48 GMT +02:00

Oh yes, I'm feeling better already, recovery after a migraine doesn't take too long fortunately.

It's hard to understand that you have to

hunt

for the proper land now, but as long as it was only the paperwork that was confused... I mean there should be no irritation as for what you want and there is no one who can take that away in the meantime... My first thought was that there was a doubt which land was assigned to that specific house, but they obviously just generally confused the objects...

8415. xymonau4 July 2013, 14:38 GMT +02:00

No, they still had my previous application with the description of the land on the deed. They just mixed it up with the correct location on the paperwork I have to sign to get a reduction in the stamp duty tax. If you are going to live in the house it's several thousand dollars cheaper than if it is an investment. It's pretty poor work on the bank's behalf, though. Fortunately the paperwork arrived today, so I'll get it signed and sent off tomorrow. I'm going to try to fast track the settlement date so I can begin moving, since all of my obligations are complete. I want to have the termite treatment done as soon as possible, and get a quote for security screens. I'm not sure I can afford those, but we'll see.

It will be good to be able to get things moving. I'm supposed to be living in the building within 60 days because of the insurance, so the sooner the better.

I do have to go to Brisbane next Friday to the rheumatologist, but any time after that would be good. I really don't feel like the trip right now. I may see if there is anyone a bit closer. It's a long drive and costly to stay overnight.

I think Mimi will take a long time to trust completely. She's an older cat. But give her a year or so of predictable peace and I think the barriers will start coming down as far as playfulness. She may have been hit for playing rough by other owners. A cat learns lessons well.

thud

8416. Groningen4 July 2013, 17:41 GMT +02:00

@gesine: o yes Assen is only 30 km from Groningen. The TT race is quite famous, and the night before is always hectic with drunken brawls.
This is a well know picture made in 1969, unfortunately for the couple, seen running away, had nothing to do with the riots .....
http://www.inenomassen.nl/tt_onrust.html

The TT is the oldest Dutch race for motorbikes
the first one was in 1925
here you can see old pictures and films (dutch language but a pictue is worth etc)
http://www.geschiedenis24.nl/nieuws/2011/juni/Filmbeelden-van-de-allereerste-TT-Assen.html

@Dez: I don't know how they decide which dog wins, the prize is a month worth of dog-food (crunch crunch)
I put a link up on FB about wire haired coated dogs and trimming/stripping.

I hope the bank doesn't make any more mistakes, these days as a customer you have to know more than the professionals and check their work and pay them :-(

thru

8417. xymonau5 July 2013, 9:20 GMT +02:00

That's a good prize. I looked at the link on Facebook. It's interesting. I don't understand the "stripping". Do they just pull the hair out? Sounds painful if it's so. (Sorry if I'm being daft, but that's all I could think it was.)

I loved the old photos of the bike races. I haven't looked at the other yet but will when I get home.

I had the same annoying Justice of the Peace today (to witness my signature on the corrcted document) who went on and on about the paperwork. He just didn't get that the bank merely put the wrong lot number on the form, and I think I told him about 12 times what happened, and he still didn't grasp it. He was the one who insisted on seeing the contract last time, and so he actually made a huge mistake by not seeing the incorrect lot at that time. I think that was his main concern. What should have been a five minute visit turned into twenty minutes. Give me patience!

I am so relieved that it's Friday. I want to go home and make some warm food and fall into bed. Won't happen. I will get my second wind around 8:30. I might give my poor miserable birds a quick fly tonight. Give them another opportunity to destroy the rental property before I leave. LOL

hurt

8418. Groningen5 July 2013, 19:55 GMT +02:00

yes Dez they do pull out the old hairs. It's not painful when done by a professional they know how and when to do this. These dogs shed their hair/coat twice a year and the stripping is only done during those times so the hair should come loose easily, don't worry it is not animal abuse when done properly ;-)

What a nuisance that JoP!
Grrrrr
to cheer you up; there are 2 new video's of Ed and Willem on FB!

and the weather is going to be fine this weekend uh in the Netherlands (and Germany too) but that wouldn't help you much.

Fly birdies fly and destroy that apartment hihihi

hunt

8419. gesinek5 July 2013, 22:00 GMT +02:00

@ christine:We dont kow what next year will happen, but all the drivers want Assen as race track for next year race series.

I stayed in Groningen when I was about 15 or 16 w(I played Basketball at that time for Hamburger Sport Verein(HSV) ) and we had horrible GOOD weekends there... not only in Groningen also in Hamburg when the guys from netherland where here.

One time they can't get back to their youth hostal and I took them home with me. My mother was a little bit astonisthed to have 11 guests at 3 o'clock in the morning, but my parents where so proud that I come home with them to share my life (problem ). My mother served us breakfast cause we wanted go to Fischmarkt (3 hours later on sunday morning and she served lunch and, and, .....

Fischmarkt for example ( it is a real tourist attraction here, with a lot of netherlands dealers):
http://www.hamburg-tourism.de/sehenswertes/best-of-hamburg/fischmarkt/

nuts

8420. xymonau6 July 2013, 13:03 GMT +02:00

Well - I'd be a bit astonished if my daughter arrived home with 11 males at 3am! LOL

Christine, I saw one video, and will go back to see the second. I have a couple of people that seem to be waiting for me on Facebook and every time I go there they want to chat. And I'm just too tired to live chat - even write, sometimes. But I'll venture in shortly. The first video was so cute, though. They were very lively this time, both putting in an appearance and being great camera subjects!

I started knitting today, on needles that were too small. I thought I'd sit in the (rare) sun for a while and try. Well, the occupational therapists were right. It hurt my hands. Every stitch hurt, and I was very disappointed. I persisted, and will continue for a time to see if it might improve. Given that our winter weather has been very mild the last couple of days, the scarf may be unnecessary, anyway!

nits

8421. Groningen6 July 2013, 19:02 GMT +02:00

@Dez: sorry to hear that knitting hurts your hands so much :-(
do you still take the medication and does working on the computer hurts as much?
being in constant pain can exhaust you
take care

@gesine: Groningen is a cool city not?
Very sportive of your mother to welcome the extra guests ;-)
I think I have an idea to help you knit a pair of socks; buy two sets of sock-needles (that is 10 needles) and knit the two socks at the same time.... well not exactly the same time but 10 rounds sock 1 followed by 10 rounds sock 2

I'm working on a pair of socks for myself now, in a pattern named "koffieboontje" i.e. coffee bean
and simple white cotton (delicious)
http://www.hema.nl/winkel/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/hobby/breien-en-haken/breigaren-fine-cotton-(99002201)

I will post a picture on FB when I have finished these :-D

pits

8422. debsch7 July 2013, 2:36 GMT +02:00

Sorry for being rude/crass, but I am just following the rules of the game. (And love how some are including the word in their conversation.)

PISS

8423. xymonau7 July 2013, 6:28 GMT +02:00

Shock! Horror!

Don't worry, Deb, you're not the first. :o) And feel free to play straight or join the conversation, whichever you prefer. The more the betterer.

pass

Yes, Christine, I'm still on cortisone, but I reduced my dose again today. The pain is coming back as I lower the dose. It's such a nasty drug, though, and it gives me headaches and really high blood pressure, and I would like to be off it. I see the Rheumatologist next Friday, and I expect her to put me on methotrexate. Not looking forward to that, but it may help the pain. The trouble is, the high dose of cortisone stopped the pain dead, and then you tend to forget you have a problem, and think it's fixed. I have been much worse, though, and this is manageable, so I'm not complaining. Yes, computer use is making my right hand and wrist sore again.

I do like the "coffee bean" colour. The yarn looks really fine, too. Do you wear them as normal socks or just around the house? I've only worn hand knitted socks to bed (I get cold feet in winter!) or as sort of slippers inside. I'd like to see them when you've finished.

8424. Groningen7 July 2013, 14:10 GMT +02:00

welcome Deb and rude words are acceptable, after all it is four-letter-words we are asking for (it) ;-)

@ Dez: I looked up methotrexate in Wikipedia....brrrr scary! But seems a well known treatment for your rheumatoid arthritis so I would trust your rheumatologist.
I think the needles you borrowed are sock needles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Double_pointed_knitting_needles.JPG
You are better of with these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Straight_knitting_needles.JPG

LOL @ coffee bean color! You can knit the pattern in any color or yarn you prefer. I choose white cotton because it's the only material my poor feet can tolerate.
I am planning to use them as normal socks. I have finished one and am half way number two, hopefully I can finish the second one tonight. They are not too bulky and feel really soft.

I finally mailed my sister in Germany " have the socks arrived?"
reply: hmmm yes thanks for them

........ooooo todays society where we treat ourselves as gods and the rest like shit....

past

8425. xymonau7 July 2013, 23:29 GMT +02:00

Wow - that would hurt my feelings after going to that much trouble, Christine. Well, never mind. You've done the kindness, and that's all you can do. It's true that the planet has become ungrateful. People don't seem to have natural affection and courtesy any more.

The needles I borrowed have a knob at one end like normal needles, but they are only about eight or nine inches long - maybe 20cms or less (I was raised with feet and inches, but we now use centimetres, etc - I think in both, but always start with inches in my mind). I think they might have been intended for children or a special purpose. They are very old. I've just been too busy or lazy to go back and buy some. If I can keep going with just a few rows a day (I did some yesterday) then I might.

To be honest, if I could get back on a decent diet I believe that would help my inflammation. I'm still eating too much garbage, and I'm huge - the fattest I've ever been. However, cortisone gives you not only a gnawing hunger, it makes everything taste good! LOL And it makes you puff up like a bullfrog. I don't want to feel sick for three days a week on the methotrexate, but it might take away my appetite as well as my pain. I just need to get moved to my house first.

I'm going to contact my lawyers today to ask if the process can be completed sooner than the end of the month.

I haven't looked it up, but what's the population of Groningen?

spat

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera