Rgbstock forum

forum > Fun zone > 4 Letter Words

4 Letter Words

1. krayker16 July 2010, 13:45 GMT +02:00

You can only change ONE letter, AND/OR rearrange the letters currently available. The first word is:

WINS

8666. xymonau30 October 2013, 12:08 GMT +01:00

Sorry, Gesine. I started the post then went to read the links and finished the post when I came back. I didn't see your post.

Wow - what a storm. We get cyclones in summer, but I have been lucky enough only to have been in one when I was a child (I only remember filling buckets of water in case the water was cut off by the storm) and the tail edge of one when I was a young mother (the wind was screaming through the powerlines). Nature can be frightening in full flight. It's like we are waiting all the time for the next disaster these days.

What's the population of Germany? I guess those pain figures are for all kinds of chronic pain as well as migraine, but it's a lot of suffering. There is a woman in the main office of my workplace who suffers from migraines. I haven't had a chance to ask her what kind she gets, but she is coming to my workplace tomorrow to teach me a new computer program, so I'll ask her then. Three in the one workplace is a lot, Michael. And you've all moved recently, so it's not environmental.

There was an office of the ABC - Australia's national broadcaster of ratio and television - in Sydney, I think, where eight women all contracted cancer. They did thorough studies of the environment, but never found anything responsible. Nevertheless, staff insisted they close the place and they moved elsewhere. The statistics were too high for coincidence.

cars

8667. Ayla8730 October 2013, 13:58 GMT +01:00

There are about 81,890,000 Germans (81 million) walking around. But we are slowly dying out, all getting older and older.

Maybe they shared the same kind of unhealthy food of some kind in that place in Sydney, even that might be a sufficient reason to develop cancer if you do it long enough, who knows?

How are your birds doing in your new house, do they enjoy the new place?

ears

8668. gesinek30 October 2013, 15:45 GMT +01:00

When I see the birth rate in our clinic I can believe we're dying out.

A lot of chronic pain pain is caused by our health system itself. Health insurance will only pay for illness which expresses in wrong blood results, wrong blood pressure, something wrong you can see in a x-ray, doctors have not enough time to listen to their patients.....

Treatment is only for reaching the results, the WHO declares as the right ones. Only a few doctors have enough time for the needs and distress of their patients-

dear

8669. xymonau31 October 2013, 10:54 GMT +01:00

I have yet to find any doctors that are truly into good health and prevention and who want to try to get their patients off medication when possible. I know they are around, but I have never found one. I really believe in a good diet as medicine. Obviously, there are non-lifestyle things that require operations and medicine, but we give up too easily and I think our bodies are always working towards healing and health. Give them half a chance and the right care and they can recover.

dare

8670. Ayla871 November 2013, 9:54 GMT +01:00

My alternative practitioner is good at observing her patients. She also does pulse diagnosis (which is probably the same or some kind of humbug), whatever it tells her about me, but with those ajurveda herbs she prescribed she helped a lot to calm me down and relieve stress. She has more time to listen than the usual doctors. That is very helpful indeed.

But heavy illnesses like the migraine still ask for the "hard" medics, too.

I think the best approach would be to live a life where your health wouldn't always have to dominate your thoughts, but you are right, our bodies need some

care

and attention, otherwise this won't work...

8671. xymonau1 November 2013, 10:46 GMT +01:00

Oh, Michael, I agree. With any serious problem, you have to take what you can get for relief. I am still on cortisone, and it really saved me from months of misery. Although I'm tapering off and will be glad to do so, I would use it in a flash if the pain returned. I also use potent anti-inflammatories, blood pressure pills and proton pump inhibitors, so I have drugs coursing through my system at a rate of knots. I do think, however, that if I'd had encouragement from doctors I could have been in a slightly better place than I am now.

I think using the best of whatever is available is the best thing to do. There are some doctors who really try to help in the bigger picture, though, like your alternative practitioner. They don't automatically assume there's a pill for everything.

rake

8672. gesinek1 November 2013, 18:25 GMT +01:00

There is nothing to say against, how did you called it? "hard" medics they can save lifes and they can make lifes much better. Like your blood pressure pills and proton pump inhibitors. Would you like to have heartburn every day and night? No! But some people tend to have it. They are perhaps a nervous type. Proton pump inhibitors prevents you from something more worse.

keap

8673. xymonau2 November 2013, 6:16 GMT +01:00

I agree, Gesine. I had gastric ulcers years ago and they cured them. I suffered for a couple of years before I could pluck up the courage to have an endoscopy (I thought I'd be awake), but if I could go back, I would have been on them sooner. Back then, in this country, you couldn't get a script for them unless you first had an endoscopy. Now they sell ranitidine in supermarkets. (I know it's not the same, but that was the first medication they put me on.)

My point is that we need an attitude of prevention and health rather than just mopping up when our health goes. We need that, too, but doctors in this country are still all about writing a script instead of talking to people about what they can do. E.g., cutting down on salt and increasing exercise. Sometimes I go to a doctor I have never seen, I tell him what I want, and he writes a script for it. End of story.

There are preventable illnesses, like type 2 diabetes.

pace

8674. Ayla874 November 2013, 8:06 GMT +01:00

What I find very helpful as a way of prevention is information on what you get to eat. Clear declaration on the packages of fats, sugars etc. Some of those declarations are there already, but they are not complete, and there are a lot of tricks used with the declared portion sizes. That makes the comparison difficult.

Oh, and there is something I can tell you - we had an explosion at home yesterday. Our monitor exploded. Must have been because of the explosive content here at rgb ;-) Unfortunately because of its age he is beyond repair. I'm sorry because it was a good one and that good old 4:3 size ratio isn't available anymore. I don't like the newer cinemascope format. Luckily we have one spare monitor of that same old size in our cellar, but it is of lesser quality, lacks some contrast. We'll have to live with it now.

pack

8675. gesinek4 November 2013, 12:38 GMT +01:00

Be careful Michael. Those old monitors can also cause headaches because of the

lack

of contrast.

8676. Ayla874 November 2013, 12:56 GMT +01:00

We'll keep an eye on it. If it won't work at all we will have to adopt to that new format. It automatically has a lot of influence on the quality of our photos when we can't properly preview them on our monitor. Will certainly increase our rejection rate...

luck

8677. Groningen4 November 2013, 17:52 GMT +01:00

wow Michael; was someone sitting in front of the monitor when it exploded?
and was Mimi scared?

I switched to cinemascope in 2009
at first I didn't like it
but I got used to it
and there is less strain on my eyes

today was a gloomy day
yesterday was a nice autumn day
I went to a market where they sold homemade products and hobby-materials
I bought some nice buttons and wool to make socks

puck

8678. Ayla875 November 2013, 7:28 GMT +01:00

Mimi luckily wasn't in the room when the explosion happened. I was sitting right in front of the monitor, but because of my bad hearing I didn't get a heart attack. It was a nice indoor firework with some light and smoke effect, but no parts flying around.

We will visit the international import shop fair here in Berlin next week

http://www.importshop-berlin.de/en/ImportShopBerlin/

with hundreds of dealers offering their goodies from all over the world (even knitwear is on offer). We are especially interested in delicacies like fruitcake and pumpkin seed oil which we buy there every year. They also have nicely vegetarian ayurvedic food, so we won't have to stay hungry.

pick

8679. xymonau5 November 2013, 9:28 GMT +01:00

You know - you people have inadvertently possibly solved a mystery for me. On the Sunshine Coast I had an old monitor and I would often get this weird thing that's hard to describe - bright flashing zig zag lights that were there even when my eyes were closed. They would start small, then get bigger and bigger. It made me feel a bit sick until it was over - about a half hour later. I used to be unable to do anything when it was happening. This would occur nearly every day. I had old monitors at work, too.

When I came here, I bought my first LCD screen (which has started to get some black spots that come and go, I might add). I didn't really notice that the flashing lights had gone. Then the other day I had a mild bout of it, and a couple of times since, but only mild and for ten minutes or so. I'm starting to think it was the monitor. I don't know why it's happening again, but perhaps the aging monitor is doing things I'm not perceiving clearly. The lights stopped with the new monitor.

Michael, if you can afford a newer kind, I suggest you get it. Your eyes can have a profound effect, and the flashing of the old monitors has caused a few epileptic fits, so they affect you neurologically.

I also hated the wide screen, but I got used to it, and now I wouldn't go back.

Well, I'm glad no-one was hurt and the cat wasn't frightened. I agree that the information on packaging is often used in devious ways. They hide monosodium glutamate under various names like "natural flavours" or "flavour enhancers". Our labelling is fairly strict, but they still manage to deceive. And "wow" to the market. It would be a lot of fun.

Christine, was that the wool on Facebook? Those socks look intricate, but they will be really nice when finished. Are you still sitting up at night? I'm trying to be good as I now start work a half hour earlier, but it's hard to break old habits.

pink

8680. Ayla875 November 2013, 12:57 GMT +01:00

Oh yes, old monitors can do that to you, I remember those times when we had them here in our offices and stared at them for hours, that was awful.

The monitor we have now isn't flashing, but the colours look washed out because he lacks contrast and details. It just looks annoying compared to what we had before.

We'll try to adjust the settings, perhaps that will help to make things better.

link

8681. Groningen5 November 2013, 17:34 GMT +01:00

@Dez: yes (to both questions)
@Michael: enjoy your visit to Import Shop Berlin! The site looks great.

Because the second part of the fishermens-sock-pattern won't be published until November 8;
I have started another project because
1. I love love love the Pomatomus pattern and
2. I have just the right yarn for that sock and
3. They have to be finished on December 21-rst and these socks are not a fast knit! I knitted all night until 7 AM and the results: 4 inches (10 cm)

pattern:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pomatomus
http://www.wolhalla.nl/pdf/6194_a_pomatomus.pdf

picture of yarn:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Crohdene/stash/opal-vincent-van-gogh

I will take pictures myself; but for the colors to be photographed right I need daylight and that means getting out of bed earlier than 3 PM (or 15.00 if you prefer digital).
These socks are going to be scrumptious and my oldest sister is a lifetime fan of Vincent van Gogh so it is worth the effort.

totally of-topic: Link >> Legend of Zelda!!

rink

PS: the rose-socks (FB) are a future project I think I will knit those in January-February. Cold dark months, hot tea and colorful knitting yes!

8682. xymonau6 November 2013, 8:59 GMT +01:00

I have never appreciated the huge variety of patterns available for humble socks! Seriously, those are amazing. And the yarn is fabulous. They are really works of art when you put so much effort into them. Have you ever entered any knitting competitions, Christine?

There was no link showing to Legend of Zelda, by the way. I think I or my son played that years ago - well, certainly a primitive console game, as I remember.

Michael, I'm going to have to look for pumpkin oil here. I never think to when I'm in Brisbane. I'd like to try it.

kink

8683. gesinek6 November 2013, 10:28 GMT +01:00

Christine, I'm always happy when I don't have to work at night. How can you hold on to that?

nick

8684. Ayla877 November 2013, 13:27 GMT +01:00

Our favourite pumpkin oil looks like this

http://www.gutes-vom-johannishof.de/kurbiskernol-5.html

they don't deliver to your country unfortunately.
That is the same which is sold next week in Berlin.
It is quite expensive, but you don't need much because of its strong taste, so it lasts long. It is so extremely tasty, hard to describe. Really nutty and delicious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_seed_oil

We always use it as a topping for our pumpkin soup and also for other soups with veges.

nice

8685. xymonau7 November 2013, 14:03 GMT +01:00

I found a supplier here, and it's made from pumpkins grown here. I'll look into it soon.

iced

8686. Groningen7 November 2013, 18:56 GMT +01:00

@Dez: Michael used the four-letter-word "link"
and that made me think of the game-persona Link (as in Zelda)
I didn't post a link to Link
hihihi
confusing but funny

@gesine: that is so strange
when I was younger (student) there where always these late night parties and then I couldn't stay awake. I started yawning at eleven and crashed at two in the morning
but now that I am a WOW (wise old woman) I can stay up all night
(fake american accent: you know it kinda sucks, you know)

there are millions of knitters out there
and a lot of them are better than me, believe me
so I don't think I will enter a contest
but I like the KAL's
tomorrow we will get the second part of the november sock
the heel-part

dire

8687. xymonau8 November 2013, 10:12 GMT +01:00

*slaps forehead* Okay, I get it now! I can be a bit slow off the mark. :o)

I guess there are various skill levels beyond yours, Christine - you can always find someone better if you look - but you're very good. And not everyone enters contests. I guess I'm thinking of our agricultural shows - like county fairs - where people enter their produce, cooking, photography, art and handcrafts. The prizes are pretty ordinary, but the competition is fun and you get ribbons!

I know what Gesine means about night shift. And like you, Christine, I used to get tired late at night. Never saw the point of staying awake. I used to need about 10 hours sleep every night. But these days I don't settle, and I could easily stay up until daylight - particularly on the computer doping graphic art - and sleep all day. I'm not sure why. It knocks me around, though. Last Friday night (I think) I slept for 11 hours, and I felt so refreshed in the morning, it was incredible. Three nights this week I've had calls from work at 2 and 3 and 3:30am and hardly slept after the crisis was sorted. Last night was the first full night's sleep, and I hope I get sleepy early tonight again. I'll crash, I think. My workplace is killing me right now.

But I had a brief chat with someone who just got out of a very long stint in prison, as I was leaving tonight. I saw him there and he just arrived and hadn't been interviewed yet. When he was trying to find his paperwork he was all over the place, and I had forgotten that he hadn't had to deal with such things for so long. I called him outside and just acknowledged what a challenge it was going to be to adjust, etc. He responded with such relief that I was very glad I thought to do it, and I had a really big pay off for my very small effort. It reminded me of why I do this for a living. There genuinely is a psychological return for the effort put into it all, and it's not about them thanking you (which rarely happens, anyway, and my thanks is my pay packet). I guess for me, getting the timing right with people is like a musician getting the tuning right on an instrument. It takes experience and practice to do it well. And it feels satisfying when it works.

reed

8688. Groningen9 November 2013, 21:05 GMT +01:00

I get ribbons?
Yeah!!!
;-)

thanks for the personal story about what your work is about

peer

8689. xymonau11 November 2013, 11:52 GMT +01:00

reap

My dad used to show Old English game fowl and he had a collection of fancy ribbons he'd won. I always liked looking at them when I was a child. They seemed so impressive.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera