Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Floods

Floods

1. xymonau8 January 2011, 11:39 GMT +01:00

The town I'm in is the next to flood. I don't think it will affect me directly - apart from the incessant rain, which is maddening - but both bridges in town have been inundated and are closed, which means there is only one way out to the Bruce Highway, the major link through Queensland. However, if too much rain occurs, my workplace is across the road from houses that back onto the river, and it's possible, I think, that we might be affected. The whole town is pretty flat, so I don't really know where the water is likely to lie.

This has been such a dreadful time for so many people in this state. We've had rain for months, unseasonal for winter, and then the rainy season - summer - brought downpours. Ten people have died. And although some of the worst crises have passed or are passing gradually, the rotten rain just won't go away. I've started to grow webbed feet! LOL Of course, the river levels are from the catchment areas that feed into them, so it doesn't have to be raining much locally for a flood to occur. However, nature has obliged with plenty of local rain so we wouldn't feel left out.

I'm reminded of a line from a very old Australian poem, "droughts and flooding rains". I'm going to indulge myself and post it here, for those who haven't read it. It was written in the early 1900s, I think, and it can always bring on the tears for me. Don't read it if you're easily bored! :)

My Country

By Dorothea Mackellar

THE LOVE of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins;
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies—
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror—
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die—
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold;
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land—
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand—
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

26. mzacha17 January 2011, 15:29 GMT +01:00

Here in Poland we have also floods caused by ice that covers the rivers now. And back in spring and summer we had several rainfloods...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=powodz+2010&aq=f

Australia:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

27. xymonau18 January 2011, 11:12 GMT +01:00

Michal, the link isn't working for me.

28. xymonau29 January 2011, 8:53 GMT +01:00

Now we have two cyclones (hurricanes) headed for Queensland. Never mind. It won't be long before the next drought.

29. mzacha30 January 2011, 8:44 GMT +01:00

Is it me or the world is getting more and more dangerous lately? Last 2-3 years are a nightmare...

30. fishmonk30 January 2011, 22:26 GMT +01:00

the world is becoming much more unpredictable - as we perfect our latest world predicting mechanisms.

31. xymonau31 January 2011, 9:21 GMT +01:00

For those who are scripturally inclined - a time of trouble. No better description for it.

32. weirdvis31 January 2011, 14:15 GMT +01:00

The Queenslanders trying to get their lives back to normal are now facing this:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/01/31/tropical-cyclone-yasi/

Time to batten down the hatches - again. Good luck, Oz-peeps!

33. Groningen31 January 2011, 18:08 GMT +01:00

did Anthony behave himself??

34. weirdvis31 January 2011, 22:04 GMT +01:00

Well he's very good at what he does. :0)

35. Groningen1 February 2011, 19:06 GMT +01:00

hospitals in Cairns are being evacuated..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12322154

(sorry but you have to cut and paste the link in your browser)

36. xymonau2 February 2011, 1:04 GMT +01:00

Who's Anthony?

Yes, the cyclone is supposed to hit it directly. Given that it's a major tourist centre, there may be a costly clean-up bill. Let's hope no lives are lost. My sister and her husband were stuck in the middle of Townsville when a cyclone hit in the 70s, I think. They took shelter in a butcher's shop for the ordeal. I don't know the circumstances, but they were caught out as the eye passed over, and thought it was all over, as I recollect. I was in a cyclone in Bowen as a child, but only remember filling buckets in case the water was disconnected. And there was a low pressure zone - not quite a cyclone - that hit Bundaberg when I lived there. I remember the wind screaming through the place - literally. It was quite scary, and the weird noise made it worse. It's not something I ever want to go through. Poor people.

37. Groningen2 February 2011, 23:47 GMT +01:00

Who's Anthony?
Well at first it seemed that Queensland was going to get a visit from two cyclones; first Anthony then Yasi
but Anthony seems to have disappeared,
luckely for you because Yasi is a big angry ugly monster

best of luck
and keep posting updates

38. xymonau3 February 2011, 10:28 GMT +01:00

Oh, that one did hit, but it downgraded to a category 1 or something. We are used to cyclones of that size. Yasi did a lot of damage, but I don't have a television aerial, so I haven't seen much about it. Fortunately, it seems no-one died. I really worry about the poor animals caught out in all the floods and cyclones. There would have been thousands of wild things die in all this. Just terrible.

39. mzacha3 February 2011, 10:55 GMT +01:00

Today in the morning we had a small block in news tv (around 5 minutes) about floods and cyclones in Australia. Terrible.

40. charcoal3 April 2011, 23:59 GMT +02:00

Good to hear you got through the floods okay Dez. We were on higher ground here in Brissie so we weren't affected. Although we had to evacuate family from two locations (that luckily in the end weren't flooded – better safe than sorry).

My first post on RGB :))

Michael B.

41. xymonau4 April 2011, 0:17 GMT +02:00

Hello, Michael! It's great to see you here. And I'm glad you stayed high and dry, too. What are you up to these days?

42. charcoal4 April 2011, 0:58 GMT +02:00

Hi Dez. You know, charging along, being creative… trying to keep the bank manager happy. My two little girls just went off to school :)) All good. Need a holiday up the coast somewhere soon though.
How about you?

43. xymonau4 April 2011, 10:27 GMT +02:00

Well, I'm a lot further up the coast than I used to be - 2and a half hours further north, to be precise. Still working with homeless men. Still haven't solved the world's problems. Doing some further study this year - just a Diploma - so my old brain will be busy. Do you have twins? My granddaughters started grade one this year. The years just fly by. Enjoy them whle they're little. I'm too far away now, but we have to eat.

Alexandra Headlands is a lovely place to get your brain back. Hate the built up area, but I love the coast.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera