Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Western art?

Western art?

1. Columbine17 January 2012, 1:53 GMT +01:00

Hey guys so I want to make a couple paintings for the Coors Western Art Sale that they put up each year at National Western Stock Show. I've always wanted to get some watercolors in and either I've gotten a really fat head lately (likely) or well, maybe I've kinda' improved but I think I can get some work in next year's show. Soooo.... My landscape paintings lately haven't been that great, and I live in the 'burbs of Denver so it's not like I have a lot of reference photos of ranches, cowboys, etc. My question is, what do you guys think would be good western material that buyers would want on their walls that aren't landscapes???

2. xymonau17 January 2012, 9:58 GMT +01:00

Horses, definitely. Bison? Cowboys/girls? Cattle? Western shoes with spurs, hats and other western gear in a "still life"?

3. weirdvis17 January 2012, 10:59 GMT +01:00

Campfire after the round-up. No beans though...

;0)

4. crisderaud17 January 2012, 18:48 GMT +01:00

Branding, roping, The Marlboro Man look (without the smoke)

5. fishmonk17 January 2012, 19:02 GMT +01:00

Those rocks with the twisted striations in them - or the tall stacks seen on westerns... (?)

6. gesinek17 January 2012, 21:12 GMT +01:00

Rodeo scenes, branding mavericks and the different signs, metal dish with baked beans on a stone in the shine of a campfire, Metall coffee pot and pitcher, saloon doors,, may be saloon scenes with square dance or musicians

7. micromoth17 January 2012, 22:56 GMT +01:00

Saddles, saddle blankets, spurs, guns, holsters, belts, dirt streets, wooden houses with shingle sides

8. scottsnyde19 January 2012, 16:56 GMT +01:00

Scene inside a saloon like a bartender in a suit... pouring a shot for a guy in sweat stained hat, dusty boots.

Have the guy's hat have the sweat stain bleeding though near the band, but it's sitting on the bar or on his knee... maybe in his hand... the cowboy is FILTHY... hard work... scruff... but make a line near his forehead that wraps around that is totally clean... as if his hat never came off... but that's the only part of him that is protected.

Saloon girl in a pleated dress, hanging off the shoulder... looking over at him, but with her hands on the shoulder of an older, cleaner, richer fellow who is playing cards.

Too complex? That's the image I'd do... I'm a painter myself. (but i paint a lot of people.)

9. Groningen20 January 2012, 0:36 GMT +01:00

cowboy playing a harmonica or a guitar.......

10. xymonau22 January 2012, 2:18 GMT +01:00

Cactus? Pick up trucks?A wild or angry looking bull?

11. Columbine22 January 2012, 4:47 GMT +01:00

Thanks guys!!! I'll let you know what I go with! :)

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera