Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > 2013 RGBStock Christmas Competition

2013 RGBStock Christmas Competition

1. xymonau10 November 2013, 11:53 GMT +01:00

Warm up your cameras and fire up that graphic software, because you are about to compete in the 2013 RGBstock Christmas Competition!

We will have a first prize for the photographic section and another for the winning graphic. And once more, we will have a lucky door prize, which means the name of everyone who enters will be placed in a draw. So every person who enters the competition has a chance of winning.

Not only will the winners receive their prizes, but the winning entries in both the photographic and the graphic sections will be posted on the front page of RGBstock.

Who can enter? You can! Anyone who registers at RGBstock, even if they currently have no images displayed here, may enter this competition.

Opening date : Saturday November 16 2013
Closing date : Saturday December 21 2013

Here are the rules:

1. Minimum image size - the shortest side of your image should be no less than 1200 pixels. Maximum image size is our standard limit of 30mb.

2. Your entries are to be uploaded as normal images, but they must contain one of the following keywords:

for photographs – xmasphoto2013
for graphics – xmasgraphic2013

This is important, as it is the only way we can locate your entry. Images lacking this keyword will be presumed to not be entries in the competition. If you discover the competition after you have uploaded images, as long as they have been uploaded between the starting and finishing dates, you may add the above keywords.

3. The theme is Christmas and New Year or other end of year celebrations like Kwanzaa and Hanukkah – for those who don’t celebrate Christmas - and everything that relates to them. Cultural variations on the theme are welcome. There are no limits on the number of entries, content or colour. Just remember that the image still has to be useful for stock, and of a quality that is normally accepted here.

4. Be creative. Come up with something new and different, and start a trend. Be traditional. Traditional images are always popular. Look at pay stock sites and see which images there are the most popular, and try your own variation. Winning is nice, but it’s lots of fun to get those creative juices flowing.

4. You may post as many entries as you wish. They can be all photos, all graphics, or a mix of both. Please note - all images must be new. You may not enter any images that are already posted here or on other sites, even your personal blogs or Facebook.

5. Voting - Every member of RGBstock (uploader or downloader) is able to vote via hitting the "Like" button next to their favourite images. At the end of the competition, the photo and the graphic with the highest number of likes will be declared the winners.

The winners will be announced in the General Chat Forum before Christmas Day. In the event of a tie for the number of likes, we will look at the number of downloads and the image with the most downloads will win. If there is still a tie, both will receive a prize.

Winners will be contacted by admin for their postage details. Because we are a global site, it may take some time for your prize to arrive, and it will be mailed to you in the New Year.

One person could win both categories. But only one prize will be awarded to that person, in the category in which they received the most downloads. The runner up from the second category will receive the other prize.

And what are the prizes? Well, we are still working on that, so watch this space!

Because the winner will be chosen by likes, admins may enter, too! What are you waiting for?

Now, go back and carefully re-read the rules. The most common errors are images that are too small, images displayed elsewhere, and images uploaded too early or too late.

You have almost a week before the competition begins, so get your creative juices flowing, and good luck!

2. gesinek10 November 2013, 19:16 GMT +01:00

I'm looking forward :-) :-)

3. coolhewitt2311 November 2013, 10:51 GMT +01:00

So I can change the tags on my photo's so they will meet the contest requirement or can I leave them as Christmas. What are you the prizes??

4. xymonau11 November 2013, 11:09 GMT +01:00

Only photos uploaded within the dates above can have their tags changed, sorry. And the prizes are not large. Last year we had RGBStock coffee mugs for the winners, and that was the first year we had prizes. In previous competitions the winners have been displayed on the front page only. We are not a commercial site and we run on volunteer power only, so money is pretty tight. However, we are working on something suitable. Because we wanted to give people time to enter all the images they wanted to, we needed to post this now. The prizes will come...:o)

You are very creative, so I think you will have loads more ideas for Christmas or New year images.

5. tinneketin12 November 2013, 13:06 GMT +01:00

Great, looking forward ;-)

6. awedell15 November 2013, 11:45 GMT +01:00

Cool initiative :)

7. xymonau15 November 2013, 23:44 GMT +01:00

Well, it's the 16th in Australia. I'm posting to see what time it is on the board. I hope you are all working hard on your entries! I can't wait to see what everyone is going to post.

8. fangol16 November 2013, 11:53 GMT +01:00

Let's start...
Merry christmas :)

9. xymonau16 November 2013, 11:58 GMT +01:00

Ditto! I've uploaded a few already. :o)

10. Teslacoils16 November 2013, 12:35 GMT +01:00

cool)

11. tinneketin17 November 2013, 0:07 GMT +01:00

I have noticed that the like button does not work properly :/
With a few of my images I see one like and the counter says zero or with another image I see tree likes and the counter says two ...

12. xymonau17 November 2013, 3:43 GMT +01:00

It catches up, but I have noticed that, too, and it has been reported to admin.

13. tinneketin17 November 2013, 10:14 GMT +01:00

Okay ;-)

14. jazza17 November 2013, 14:15 GMT +01:00

Sometimes the likes are a little bit out of sync. But it will recover after several hours. don't worry.

15. jazza21 November 2013, 10:43 GMT +01:00

The Rgbstock Christmas photo competition has great prizes. Check it out:
http://www.rgbstock.com/christmas2013/

16. Abyla21 November 2013, 11:15 GMT +01:00

Wow !

17. xymonau21 November 2013, 13:54 GMT +01:00

Fabulous prizes, Jay!

18. ColinBrough21 November 2013, 19:55 GMT +01:00

Liking the prizes.

But noticed when looking at the photos uploaded so far that the "Order by number of downloads" may not be working. So, click on the link on the competition page which does a search for the 'xmasphoto2013' tag, then change the "Display by" drop down to "Most downloads" - and they are not in order. See screengrab:

http://www.colinbrough.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rgbstock4.png

19. jazza23 November 2013, 13:45 GMT +01:00

It is a minor caching problem. We are aware of it. Thank you for reporting.

20. johnnyberg23 November 2013, 14:13 GMT +01:00

The competition is of course a nice idea, but I really dont understand how some images are approved with the competition-tag or just "christmas" in the keyworks. Just looked today and there are images of a ear, som people on a bridge, a bunch of textures without any connection to christmas what so ever.

It might be an idea to clean that up a little..... :)

21. xymonau23 November 2013, 15:14 GMT +01:00

Well, mine are the only textures and if you look at the large version you will see they are full of stars and perfectly usable for Christmas.

When we count the number of likes we will look at the images to ensure they are the correct size and that they are acceptable images for the competition. Last year, several people added under-sized pica and also some had been displayed elsewhere. These were not counted.

22. johnnyberg23 November 2013, 16:20 GMT +01:00

Your rainbow-metal-collection (page 9 in "latest" christmas) har none of those features as far as I can see.

But I am glad to hear that images the clearly wrong labelled images are removed. Not as much for the contest, but more because I feel that many images have keywords that are "a bit away fom what is shown in the image".

And that really gets clear, I think, when I search for images and have to pass many many many with no real relevance to the keywords.

23. Zela23 November 2013, 20:10 GMT +01:00

Keywords can always be removed or replaced after being reviewed. That might explain some strange tagging.

24. xymonau23 November 2013, 21:31 GMT +01:00

I think keywords are the life of this site and people need to put a lot of effort into them. Unfortunately, some people, when they upload several images at once, will put the keywords for several images together, and they don't change them once they are uploaded. Without good keywords their images will not be seen again after they move from the recent pages.

John, I'm not sure which images you mean. Are you saying they are not suitable for Christmas? If so, can you give me the link to one of them so I know what you mean? The only ones that I can see that you might mean were uploaded in September and are foil images. Because of the metallic effect, I would use them for Christmas backgrounds, fills, etc. Maybe I'm seeing the wrong things.

25. coolhewitt2324 November 2013, 15:07 GMT +01:00

I was thinking about adding text to my vector artwork but I'm not sure if its allowed. An example of text would be seasons greetings.

first page | previous page | next page | last page
x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera