Rgbstock forum

forum > Equipment > Compact recommendation?

Compact recommendation?

1. ColinBrough29 November 2013, 17:09 GMT +01:00

Hi

Looking for recommendations for a compact to take with me travelling. I'll be in Ethiopia for a couple of weeks in January on a study trip with a relief and development charity. We will not necessarily be in secure areas, and so I'm not planning on taking my DSLR/lenses (and the extra weight wouldn't help the baggage allowance either!).

Reasonable image quality, fast turn on/shutter response to catch situations are key. Not needing huge zoom ranges. Decent battery life would be a help, since not sure we'll have reliable access to mains power for recharging. My existing kit is Canon, if that makes a difference. Quite like proper viewfinders...!

Probably willing to go up to £150/$240/€180 approximately.

Any recommendations welcome.

Colin

2. Groningen30 November 2013, 23:02 GMT +01:00

Canon PowerShot G1 X

3. coolhewitt231 December 2013, 13:35 GMT +01:00

I have a Olympus SP-56OUZ camera. It's a horrible camera. Its takes 4 AA batteries. The batteries lasts about 2 hours then I have to replace them. I don't recommend Olympus products.. You might consider buying a small Nihon compact camera because Nikon products are better.

take care
cool

4. coolhewitt231 December 2013, 13:35 GMT +01:00

5. Groningen2 December 2013, 0:42 GMT +01:00

dude did you even take the time to read my post
or did you just assume ….

6. gesinek2 December 2013, 18:11 GMT +01:00

I have a PowerShot xs220 h5 and I can't recommand it. In most situations the areas with not much different colors are blurry. May be its my mistake, but I tried a lot of different settings in the past.

I used to have an old Lumix TZ ... That was a very good camera but it has broken down :-(

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera