Rgbstock forum

forum > Equipment > 5 Reasons to Ditch Your Digital SLR

5 Reasons to Ditch Your Digital SLR

1. crisderaud11 February 2010, 21:57 GMT +01:00

There's a new camera category in town. It's EVIL, and it's going to kick your DSLR's ass. EVIL stands for Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens, and is our favorite acronym for cameras like the Olympus Pen, the Lumix GF1 and the Samsung NX10. These small, mirrorless, finderless cameras can fit in a pocket and outperform bulky DSLRs. Here's why your next camera will probably be EVIL

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/five-reasons-you-should-ditch-your-dslr/

2. GerbenVanErkelens22 February 2010, 18:25 GMT +01:00

I think a real hobbyist will use a DSLR because of all the options most of those camera's can't offer. I think it's nice though that camera's like that are getting better and better through the years.

3. krayker26 February 2010, 4:45 GMT +01:00

@ 2. yeah cameras are getting better all the time! DSLR still beats the consumer cameras because of the faster lens and faster and beefier processor. for speed of processing, speed of lens, and low light performance the DSLR cant be beaten!

DSLRs still have a place, and the other cameras invluding EVIL arent yet there. main reasons, lack of lenses. I have many friends who need the lenses to be as fast as they could or want a particular kind, and also, professionals usually have multiple lenses in their kit.

the sheer lack of variety in lenses is the prime reason EVIL isnt taking off. it's a nice concept, and once more companies adopt and better technology enters, it's bound to increase in numbers. mirror slapping is uncomfortable in wildlife photography, and so is the loud "kaching-kaching-kaching-kaching" sound!

right now there's no apparent attractive reason other than compactness. the price is slowing coming down, which is good. but, i'd reckon its still pretty much like a dslr - just the mirror is missing. the sensor is large and lenses are still a major investment, so is the price.

4. xymonau26 February 2010, 7:25 GMT +01:00

I'd like to try one.

5. krayker5 March 2010, 7:04 GMT +01:00

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10030401gfkq4salesreport.asp

micro 4/3rds are slowly picking up. they sold 10% of the dslr segment.

6. ciscopa5 March 2010, 10:07 GMT +01:00

Two weeks ago, finally I got my wished first dslr... and I know someday another cams will beat them. But how I'm enjoying and learning with it now, and how I love that loud "kaching-kaching-kaching-kaching" sound... :D

7. krayker5 March 2010, 11:47 GMT +01:00

@6. congratulations! the focus speed must be the biggest difference isn't it ? hope to see many images here :) enjoy!

8. ciscopa5 March 2010, 12:00 GMT +01:00

I had an Ixus 400, you can imagine that the biggest difference is all. I now feel that i'm really taking photos when i hold the camera looking through a viewfinder and thinking in aperture, exposure, speed, light, focus...

9. krayker6 March 2010, 9:09 GMT +01:00

yeah, the viewfinder would be large and you can "see" everything, no grainy image, no delay, no shutter lag, the focus would be immediate, the lens would move fast, servo can actually be used :)

my sx10 isnt bad, sometimes when there's good light, the servo did actually work with a medium sized bird not moving very fast.

the exposure would be great on the slr, larger sensor, lesser noise, it would work great in low light too, ISO 400 or 800 wouldn't be a smeary mess!

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera