Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Freeimages.com

Freeimages.com

1. greekgod19 February 2021, 2:13 GMT +01:00

Greetings, people.
Especially the ones carried over from sxc.hu like me.
Been meaning to ask, was the entire library of sxc moved to freeimages?
Or were you contacted and asked?
Thanks!

2. jazza20 February 2021, 13:38 GMT +01:00

Hi Jasper, I am not aware of any connection between freeimages.com and the old SXC.hu. From Rgbstock we also have no connections to this website. Personally I never was asked for freeimages.com.

3. ColinBrough19 April 2021, 15:59 GMT +02:00

If you kept your sxc.hu portfolio online there for a while after the site was bought (ie didn't delete it) then I recall images were then migrated to what is now freeimages.com. I did this for a while, then actively decided to remove them from freeimages and deleted them - had a bit of a back and forward because the default when you de-activated your portfolio was that they'd keep a copy of your images on their servers, but not make them publicly available... I objected and asked them to remove the content from their servers completely. My images were still on freeimages in 2015 or so - I can't track down exactly when I asked for them to be removed.

4. ColinBrough19 April 2021, 16:21 GMT +02:00

To answer your more specific question, I suspect in uploading to sxc.hu (or, for that matter, to RGBstock) we grant some right for the owner of the site to distribute the image. When a site is bought, that granted right to distribute will be passed on. I'm presuming that our permission for the site owner to distribute our images, as granted originally to sxc.hu, is still valid/extant... There may have been some communication around the time the site was bought - but I suspect the buyer would *not* have wanted a whole bunch of the value of the site (the image collection) disappearing if they went and explicitly asked for fresh permission when they didn't need to...

Incidentally, Jazza, try visiting 'www.sxc.hu' and see where you end up - there is definitely a connection!!

5. xymonau19 April 2021, 17:11 GMT +02:00

Yes, Colin, scx.hu became freeimages - all Getty owned. And I agree re the right to offer the images under teh same rules. However, I think they make it hard to remove your images, as you said. I would never knowingly support Getty.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera