Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > iPad

iPad

1. scottsnyde23 February 2010, 0:11 GMT +01:00

I love Mac, but I don't think I have any interest in the new iPad they are coming out with. What do you think of it?

2. dlritter23 February 2010, 1:20 GMT +01:00

The iPad is not a Mac (but you knew that). It is essentially an iPod touch with a larger screen.

Opinions seem to be pretty mixed about the iPad. If I remember correctly, the exact same thing happened when Apple released the first iPod. Some people loved it, some hated it. Others asked "Why would I want one of these?".

Only time will tell if the iPad is something that the general public wants.

I am actually thinking the iPad would be useful on trips when it is inconvenient to lug a laptop around.

3. GerbenVanErkelens23 February 2010, 9:38 GMT +01:00

I think it's a pretty nice gadget to have. But it's missing some key components I think should be required.

4. lennie23 February 2010, 10:22 GMT +01:00

As a webdeveloper, I just have only one thing to say, Gerben: please don't say you flash :-)

5. GerbenVanErkelens23 February 2010, 11:32 GMT +01:00

Well I do :) I like the abilities that Flash can give you! Not only for websites (please don't create a full flash site, yak) but for some projects where Flash can give just that little extra. For Example: http://www.kiz-neuruppin.de/. I really think that Flash can be best used that way.

For websites however it's wiser not to use it. Only if you're a design bureau or animator it's probably wise to have some Flash showreel elements. Use AJAX and just plain CSS and HTML however as main target.

Anyway, getting a bit off topic.

I miss things like HDMI out and stuff like that. And the ability of running multiple apps and programs at the same time is a must for me.

But I understand others won't give a rats *@ss about that :)

6. crisderaud23 February 2010, 14:11 GMT +01:00

Flash in websites are distracting, you have to wait for them to load and play and they are often hard to see what the site is about.

Flash and Java script also block the search engine crawlers, keeping your important textual content from being included which greatly reduces a site's page rank.

7. ciscopa23 February 2010, 14:12 GMT +01:00

I work with mac, and I think mac is the best for my job... no doubt.
But iPad seems to me a big phone, without phone, without bluetooth, without...

8. crisderaud23 February 2010, 14:19 GMT +01:00

Oh yeah, about the iPad. I suppose it will develop a niche. I'm always home so I don't need anything mobile or wireless (except the mouse) and no costly cell phone bills!

Give me a desktop computer with cable modem, a few good peripherals and I am set.

9. GerbenVanErkelens23 February 2010, 14:34 GMT +01:00

And most of the netbooks around are rally easier to use I think also :)

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera