Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > Tell me what you think of this shot....

Tell me what you think of this shot....

1. crisderaud16 June 2010, 21:49 GMT +02:00

I'm undecided about sending this shot to my gallery. It's my brother chopping onions next to the pile of slow cooked pork he already chopped.

I think the photography is good but it has some issues. The angle is not really good. The crop is iffy. The focus is a bit soft and the usability is marginal.

Put yourself in the reviewers seat. Would we want this photo in our gallery?

http://screencast.com/t/MGZiMTc1M2

2. turevista16 June 2010, 22:45 GMT +02:00

not with them fingernails!!
only yolking.

as for the photo? YES,

I know you cant obviously include everything here ,
but for me, more is better,as long as an image is of quality!

from someone who is always looking for stock to use in a magazine.
I think here is differant, the diversity and to some extent the reality, sometimes you just need a specific photo, nothing flashy, nothing arty,nothing perfectly shot, for example, just a picture of a guy cutting onions.!! and where do you look?

right here of course!

keep up the good work .

3. Gramps17 June 2010, 7:55 GMT +02:00

Not sure Chris. The actual chopping of the onion is well out of focus and the eye is drawn more to the hand on the pork. You desciption would have to be more around that than the chopping action. It has a country feel to and might take to warming up a bit to give it a rustic feel.

David is right about the nails though, could do with a bit of editing :0) You never know what people are looking for and it's a good photo, go for it. Not being funny, but used as is, you might see it in a few health and safety mags.

4. crisderaud18 June 2010, 1:18 GMT +02:00

I think the focus being on the hand and not the chopped onions is major distraction from the subject of this shot. The angle is also in line with the knife making it hard to see. The shot should have been taken from the left where there was a better angle of the action.

5. Berenika18 June 2010, 19:29 GMT +02:00

Cris, I can't agree with this. Few months ago I was looking for pictures of "working hands" - and hands have to be mature and hmmm how to say it - normal?standard? not artifical? (I do not need hands of proffesional 20 years old female model) - because one of my customers get some funds from European Union for special project - it was dedicated to persons who were not working for a long time - and we want to show activity - photos of working hands were for us symbolic. Money was to help people not to buy photos, so I need something free of charge or very cheap to create leaflets and posters to spread the information about this project - and we didn't manage...only expensive stock photos....
Except this small detail (fingernails) yours photo is perfect - there is action, activity and hands can belong to someone who is not proffesional model :-)
I think in case like this we should trust the most objectiv criteria - just upload and see what will happen - dowlands number will tell you the truth :-)

6. weirdvis18 June 2010, 21:39 GMT +02:00

Cris, that image is good enough to add to the database. Go for it if you haven't already.

7. crisderaud19 June 2010, 15:05 GMT +02:00

I've decided to redo the shot with a little preparation instead of trying to fix this one up.Part of the problem was my brother was wearing a wildly red colored Hawaiian shirt that didn't look right in the background forcing a weird angle.

I was trying out The Official Wacky Hack Paper Bounce Card which makes your hotshoe flash an effective soft box lighting. You print it out on firm inkjet paper then cut it out to mount on your flash with rubber bands. Download the pattern to print here:
http://www.wackyhacks.com/?p=106

It's perfect for close up portrait shots.

8. greekgod20 June 2010, 18:01 GMT +02:00

i suggest cropping it to lose the shredded pork, then uploading!
Happy Father's Day, everyone!

9. crisderaud21 June 2010, 3:00 GMT +02:00

Ok, I took into consideration your suggestions and did this quick and dirty fix. It's only temporary like BP's solution to their leak.

http://screencast.com/t/NDExNTM1YzY

Don't show this picture to my brother

10. happyture21 June 2010, 9:34 GMT +02:00

WoW, pink nail varnish, Don't seem right on dudes hands somehow Cris :o) But there again, it may appeal to some, what do i know?

11. fishmonk21 June 2010, 13:35 GMT +02:00

Nice idea.
Though labour intensive... would it not be easier to get some more onions & start over?

12. xymonau23 June 2010, 6:51 GMT +02:00

The original is just fine. Take off the left side up to about a finger's width beside the top hand. Take off the right side up to the start of the arm. Crop the lower side up to the bottom of the piece of onion.

This is a perfectly good illustration, and it will be used. You could clean up the nail if you wanted to, but the downloader can do that, anyway.

13. greekgod23 June 2010, 7:03 GMT +02:00

as far as free stock images go, the initial image is useful and fine for uploading. we expect people who get photos here to know how to fix this specifically to their preferences.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera