Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Poor lightning.....

Poor lightning.....

1. johnnyberg28 July 2010, 19:00 GMT +02:00

I just had this rejected with "poor lightning":

www.hdrfoto.dk/upload/102707_28_rgb.jpg

And I really really don't understand it.

Please, can anybody tell me how this is poor lightning?

2. johnnyberg28 July 2010, 19:01 GMT +02:00

Bad link

The right link is:

www.hdrfoto.dk/upload/100727_28_rgb.jpg

Sorry

3. xymonau29 July 2010, 12:00 GMT +02:00

Well, I'm not an approver, but I really like the shot.

4. krayker30 July 2010, 19:28 GMT +02:00

I figure that - the seams of the glass is not visible - its probably because of that the image got rejected, this is my thinking.

nice idea though.

5. johnnyberg31 July 2010, 0:26 GMT +02:00

@3: ty.

@4: I hear you, but the not visible part of the glasses is a point of the picture and if everything in our pictures must be visible (e.g. no more burnout), then many of the pictures in here should be taken out again.

But I still havn't heard from an approver.......... så we are just guessing, arn't we?

6. weirdvis31 July 2010, 9:52 GMT +02:00

Hi John. I'm not used to rejecting your images. Your upload quality is usually superrb especially your HDR images.

Yes the wine glass images do look nice in an artistic way but their use as stock is limited because glass detail was lost. The lighting in such a shot is very tricky but having a large portion of the glass lost to overexposure spoils the image. Take a look at this one:

http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=download&id=1013937

The exposure on this image is perfect, you can see the outline of the glass, even the most delicate parts, and the rich colour of the wine.

You got the composition spot on but you need to improve your lighting/exposure in studio shots such as this.

Hope this helps.

7. johnnyberg31 July 2010, 11:57 GMT +02:00

It really is a dissapointment to be offered a link to The Other Site ;-) but nevermind. Thank you for the explanation.

I still strongly disagree with your conclusion; I do feel that the image does have as much "potential" with the (intended) overexposure and the one I am uploading now (have been at the left edge). But I also know that, of the two of us, you are the approver :-)

And thank you for your kind words about my HDR images; I do find HDR to be a very very giving way of photography.

8. weirdvis31 July 2010, 12:10 GMT +02:00

You're right about the demonstration source, John. I should have known better. Here's a brilliant one from lusi.

http://www.rgbstock.com/download/lusi/mngDxU4.jpg

As for the original overexposed image, why not upload it again so that either Marja or Steve can take a look at it. I don't claim to be infallible so if another admin decides to accept the image I'm fine with that.

;0)

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera