Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Lightboxes

Lightboxes

1. Ayla8710 January 2011, 6:51 GMT +01:00

I have happily noticed that we now have lightboxes to create sets of related photos. Great addition!
Here is a link to my first public lightbox (just to give you something to test):
http://www.rgbstock.com/l/9c3d3c3c7b2468e73943eecf206f28ce
(quite a long url, but I won't be able to memorise it ;) "speaking" names including the creator and the title of the lightbox might be easier to deal with)

I found that it seems to be possible to declare a lightbox as "public" so that everybody may see it. What I couldn't figure out is where (public) lightboxes can be found?
- Will they be shown in search results when their name fits to the searched keyword?
- Is there a chance to get the lightbox (or parts of it) displayed under each photo on every photo page of photos which are part of the photo set?
--Michael

2. StariSob10 January 2011, 8:56 GMT +01:00

Feedback when click on "Add to lightbox"

The new 'lightbox feature' is welcome addition to the site; I've missed this one till now.
I have watch implementation of the feature past few days and know there is large amount of work involved. However I have suggestion (if not already planned) for some kind of feedback when clicking "add to lightbox" button.
[we, modern web users are spoiled to expect some shiny clicky effect :) when click on something - and thinking something not working properly if there are no fanfare when clicking the button :D]
Nice work folks!

3. StariSob11 January 2011, 19:21 GMT +01:00

Well, another lightbox tweak - it is not crucial, not even necessary. But it would be - i don't know - nice :)
I am using firefox 3.6.10 and 3.6.16 on winxp, and as i can see with IE is fine.

When browsing pages with firefox and bottom lightbox panel is open, it slightly overlaps bottom navigation pane with links to next/previous which makes links unclickable. well, it would be nice to have those links - clickable. :)
as i said browsing with IE7 is fine....

thanks for the effort!

4. jazza11 January 2011, 21:40 GMT +01:00

Thank you for your input.
I am still working on the lightboxes.

@1 : I am planning to show the public lightboxes on the profile page. A little bit like Flickr.com
@1 : show up is search results: Nice idea, but not on a short term.
@1 : photo sets is still on my wish list / to do list. Yes we really need photo lists. I like them myself too.

@2 : I added the feedback; simply forgot that.
@3 : Good point. I will fix it soon.

If you find any other problems please feel free to report it on this forum or by using the contact page.

5. micromoth11 January 2011, 22:35 GMT +01:00

I'm not sure that all users will know what a lightbox is, or what it is for. Should we have something about it in the FAQ section?

6. Ayla8712 January 2011, 6:49 GMT +01:00

I agree - a short Lightbox FAQ would be helpful and inspiring.

Another little heap of lightboxing ideas and observations (please follow them only if it wouldn't cause too much work, Jay!):

I think it would be helpful to have the "edit lightbox(es)"-Link available on the lightbox management page ( http://www.rgbstock.com/lightbox ) and on the individual lightbox pages, too.

It would also be helpful, if the user creates a new lightbox, that this would instantly be automatically set as his "active" lightbox where all new photos are collected into as long as no other lightbox is selected for this purpose. Currently the last selected (and not the last created) lightbox of the user is used as a default to collect all photos in.

Another feature to help to order and retreive photos would be the possibility to select one (ore more) photos from one lightbox and copy (or move) them to another lightbox.

And finally, let me remark again that I have the impression, because of the way how you created these lightboxes they may very well be used to make sets of photos. A set of photos on a special subject is in my opinion not very different from a lightbox with a name and with content of photos on this subject. The only difference I can think of is that photo sets should be restricted to photos by one photographer and should be arranged by the photographer of the photos, only. Lightboxes can be used by everyone to make collections from all available photos, of course.

To illustrate these possibilities and the usefulness of such a feature in a FAQ would be fine indeed. Sorry, if my English is so bumpy.
--Michael

7. xymonau4 February 2011, 14:03 GMT +01:00

Can someone tell me how to add images to a light box? I have no idea.

8. Ayla874 February 2011, 14:46 GMT +01:00

Underneath each image (just right to the icon of a little person which leads to the photographer) there is a tiny icon which looks a bit like a strip of film. Click on it to add the image to your lightbox.
--Michael

9. xymonau5 February 2011, 7:15 GMT +01:00

Thank you so much, Michael.

10. thomasowenm14 May 2011, 16:28 GMT +02:00

I am having a problem figuring out how to swith my lightboxes. Where it says to select a lightbox, there are no options to select. Am I missing something? Thanks so much.

11. jazza14 May 2011, 23:16 GMT +02:00

@10 thomas, you are right; There was a problem in that section and we fixed it. It should be possible now to select a different lightbox again.

12. thomasowenm15 May 2011, 1:00 GMT +02:00

@Jazza Thanks.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera