Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Framing

Framing

1. Stephen21 June 2011, 16:34 GMT +02:00

Congratulations to everyone, it's great to see rgb making progress and an absolute credit to the team. The site looks great and is so easy to navigate; that takes a huge amount of effort.

I was flicking through the forum as I do quite regularly and noted Dez's thread on 'image too similar'. I'm not commenting on Dez's issue but it got me motivated to add a thread.

Scanning around contributor's images it quickly becomes apparent that there are many similar images in people's galleries. Two issues: that's a lot of storage to be maintained! but also it got me thinking about the importance of good framing, particularly for landscape / nature photography. Sure, scenes lend themselves to many interpretations but surely it's an essential aspect of being a discerning photographer to assess images for the most 'atmospheric' framing. Are we losing the art of critically assessing our own images; the digital 'revolution' crushing discernment? Reminds me of those terrible occasions being asked to look over friends and families 15,000 holiday photos, the pyramids from all points of the compass, hmmmm. What's rgb's perspective?

2. weirdvis22 June 2011, 15:32 GMT +02:00

RGB admins try to encourage people to be more self-critical of their images. It helps people to develop a more comprehensive technical ability and a better "eye" for a composition. Certainly, in the days of the far more expensive "wet" photography, people paid more attention to framing an image. Digital is far more forgiving but that isn't a reason to forego the basic techniques of shooting nice images.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera