Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > Stock fresh

Stock fresh

1. Stephen3 November 2011, 13:58 GMT +01:00

I've probably missed discussion on rgb's relationship with stockfresh. Can someone point me to it please?

2. Stephen17 November 2011, 14:58 GMT +01:00

And, given the dreadful experience at sxc, can I ask who owns the business rgbstock.com, and where is the business registered?

3. Stephen28 November 2011, 9:42 GMT +01:00

After the sxc experience I guess I imagined things would be different. Still hoping

4. Abyla28 November 2011, 18:36 GMT +01:00

About rgbstock :
http://www.rgbstock.com/about

5. Stephen28 November 2011, 21:56 GMT +01:00

thanks Javier, I have read the 'about rgb' but it doesn't answer my question about the relationship with stockfresh, who owns rgb and where the business is registered.

6. Stephen5 July 2012, 16:15 GMT +02:00

Eight months after my initial request for information on very straightforward questions I am still no wiser. Bumping the question - what is rgb's relationship with stockfresh, who owns rgb and where is the business registered? I might add, why on earth are such basic questions unanswered?

7. jazza5 July 2012, 22:30 GMT +02:00

http://www.rgbstock.com/about gives all the information you need.
About stockfresh.com:Please read the affiliate section of that site.

8. lennie6 July 2012, 15:26 GMT +02:00

The creator of sxc and sxp and previous owner is Peter Hamsa, he also created Stockfresh. Stockfresh is like any other advertiser to us. Why we need advertisers is obviously, the money is used to keep the site running.

9. brough20 August 2012, 2:31 GMT +02:00

I added an image to my lightbox, went to download it, and ended up on stockfresh. Requires new signup and of course more money. Not really very impressed.

10. Gramps20 August 2012, 15:07 GMT +02:00

@7

"http://www.rgbstock.com/about gives all the information you need. "

No, it doesn't. It does not answer the question that Stephen is asking. In fact, if read the wrong way, it insinuates that that is all the information he is entitled to or is going to get.

Just like SXC this site must have an owner, someone who owns the URL at least. It can be one person or a group (Ltd company or whatever) but someone owns it and Stephen wants to know. I think he is also trying to guage the chances of the same thing happening with RGB as happened with SXC.

As an aside it's interesting to note that since 2009 when the SXC site was taken over the Forum has closed and the number of photographs has never risen over the 400,000 it had.

In actual fact it doesn't really matter who owns the site as its survival depends on the members who can remove their support at any time and completely destroy the site if they wish. I suspect that SXC only survives at the moment because a lot of members (or ex members) just can't be bothered to remove their galleries.

So, are you prepared to give a straight answer or is this question going to be bounced up to the top over and over again :0)

11. xymonau20 August 2012, 23:04 GMT +02:00

I beg to differ. The information is all there. And any site like this can change - as did sxc - as there are no guarantees. Things happen.

12. Gramps21 August 2012, 12:58 GMT +02:00

You know you don't have to beg Dez, I'm a sucker for a lady and will bow to your superior knowledge (not forgetting the pointy stick).

13. xymonau21 August 2012, 23:35 GMT +02:00

I'm glad I have a sinister reputation. It can be helpful.

14. Stephen30 August 2012, 14:03 GMT +02:00

Just caught up with Gramps comments at 10 as I'm not on Internet at present and he's right on all counts. The question as to who owns rgb is unanswered and I must presume won't be answered. I gather from an email some time back that Jay Simons is the CEO but can't see a reference to this in the site info. It's all confusing. As rgb grows in popularity the question's importance grows along with it.

15. Stephen9 October 2012, 11:06 GMT +02:00

Why on earth do I have to feel like the proverbial leper?

I hear Gramps comments and agree with his sentiment and analysis of the situation. If rgb changed hands no doubt many who have lodged images here would simply leave them and most likely be disinterested in ownership issues. Some would take their images with them and perhaps rgb would suffer the fate of sxc and see a decrease in relevance (I haven't personally sought proof of that but I take on Gramp's assessment).

Dez says that "the information is all there". Forgive my ageing shortsightedness, my inability to see the obvious. Dez, whomever, please direct me to where I can find information on who owns the rgbstock url? or who holds what positions in the 'company' / 'business'. As I said earlier, Jay Simons emailed me suggesting that he is the CEO but I see no mention of who holds what positions anywhere on the site.

sxc was sold, someone turned a buck. sxc didn't own the images, just as rgb doesn't, yet there was a justifiable clamour from contributors when it was bought. I feel entirely justified in asking the most basic questions about a site to which I offer my images:

Is rgb a registered business?
In which country is the business registered?
Who registered their ownership of the business?
Under what mantle is the business a business?

I repeat, that I ask these questions as I think it is not unreasonable for contributors to expect a basic level of transparency of the site.

16. lennie9 October 2012, 13:23 GMT +02:00

There is no company or business, it is just the people in the list on the about-page. Jay started the site.

We haven't created a business or non-profit although it was discussed a bit.

Our current model works: we keep each other in check to keep the site running.

Jay and I need the others to keep the site running and the others need us for the technical stuff. And the photographers keep the group in check, without the photographers the site obviously wouldn't work either.

Stockfresh is just an affiliate for the site. Although with a friendly relationship. Just a small source of income like the Google ads to keep the site running.

Does that answer most of your questions ?

17. xymonau9 October 2012, 13:43 GMT +02:00

It's a website, not a business.

18. ColinBrough21 October 2012, 17:27 GMT +02:00

Thanks lennie for clarification. So presumably someone nominally owns the domain name - it was registered by them in a personal capacity with whoever your local domain name registrar is? I've got a couple of domains that nominally I own (my credit card paid for the registration), but I did so and received expenses to do so on behalf of something that that has no legal existence - in my case an informal gathering of local ministers/churches...

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera