Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > lets forget about the ripper alert stuff and debate why images creative images get dissallowed

lets forget about the ripper alert stuff and debate why images creative images get dissallowed

1. angusgiorgi12 January 2012, 15:33 GMT +01:00

Okay so I thought this was bad on SXC but it's worse here because six images i just uploaded as a new member tonight all got rejected, while at least three of those images have been accepted at SXC.

I really understand the purists in photography who may state that's something's out of focus therefore maybe not acceptable, or there's not enough ambient light. Or whatever technical reason.

You just might be right technically but photography is an artistic and creative interpretive medium. If I upload a low light dusk image of two black swans on a pond, precisely because I find the light quality attractive and it to be beautiful and non conventional, who's the robot who can tell me the technical restrictions are more important that my intention to upload and share an image that someone else like me might find attractive or interesting?

I want to share creative images that have some substance and don't just look like bland stock shots.

2. Zela12 January 2012, 19:54 GMT +01:00

Please contact support for questions and information about your uploads.

SXC standards might be different than ours indeed. If you are looking for a free sharing site without reviewing uploads on forehand you might consider Flickr or a similar sharing site.

Please do not take a file rejection too personal. You are always welcome to correct any issue and reupload or try another file.

Thank you.

3. weirdvis13 January 2012, 9:19 GMT +01:00

As Zela has already said, this is not a personal issue. Artistic creativity aside the admins need to judge whether or not an image is suitable for stock purposes. While low ambient light can indeed enhance the atmosphere of an image close attention also needs to be paid to the way the image is cropped/composed. In the case of the swan image there are strong silhouettes from the surrounding scenery (landing stage etc) that detract from the subject.

By all means please upload creative shots because creativity is actively encouraged but please bear in mind that rgbstock is a stock image site and images are not merely judged on quality and creativity but also upon their usefulness as stock. While a silhouette of iron railings might well have artistic merit it has limited value as a stock image if the composition isn't eye-catching and/or unusual. The wow factor, even for the most mundane of subjects, can be the difference between acceptance and rejection.

We would really appreciate you sharing creative images that have substance and don't look like bland stock shots. We accept such images whenever we see them. We look forward to seeing some of yours in the upload queue.

4. Ayla8713 January 2012, 11:14 GMT +01:00

Hi Angus,

as I was the one who lured you to this site I must say, the above explanations sound fair and reasonable to me. From my own experience I can say it is very well worth a try, so please keep uploading your photos.

--Michael

5. scottsnyde13 January 2012, 17:56 GMT +01:00

It can be hard to accept an image rejection, at least initially. Now, aproximately one in 10 or as many as 1 in 7 of my images get rejected, sometimes its my very favorite image that is turned down.

But, what I've come to understand is that this is a "stock" site, not a strickly "art" site... It just isnt' the right media for unrestricted artistic expression, but it is an excellent hobby.

Don't worry Angus, if you stick around you'll find that you get used to the images getting rejected and it won't bother you for long.

--Scott

6. micromoth13 January 2012, 23:09 GMT +01:00

@1 - I've had my share of rejected images too. After an initial feeling of shucks! I've just looked to see how I can do better. I've always found the judges discerning, fair, and very helpful, especially when I haven't understood first time what was wrong and they have taken the trouble to give me some brief advice on how to correct it.
Please do try again; I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

7. fishmonk14 January 2012, 11:43 GMT +01:00

Same here - we all have a rejected image pile sitting around.

I must admit it's hard not to take it personally, but, like Scott, I have learned to move on pretty quickly - accepting it as more of a challenge.

The guys here at rgbstock are fair, as Kevin says, & knowledgeable too. They have taught me an awful lot of really useful photo/image related stuff. I'm really glad to have found this corner of the internet. I hope you are around here long enough to feel the same way too.

Good luck,

Dan

8. xymonau14 January 2012, 12:45 GMT +01:00

I have disagreed profoundly with the approvers at times, and said so, but the truth is that it is all subjective, and while that happens occasionally, generally they make very good calls, particularly when it comes to quality. They are experienced and patient, and have approved every single one of our 66,000+ images, and that's no mean feat for volunteers.

Regarding sxc, their standards are nowhere near as high as they once were, and they certainly don't want quality images to take customers from I-Stock, or whatever their pay site is, so they have been known to reject quality images and accept those of a lower standard, according to feedback I've had from contributors to both sites. Don't use them as a standard to judge your work, since they have another agenda.

I don't have access to image files, so I can't comment on yours specifically, but wierdvis has given you an explanation. Believe me, creative images ARE accepted here. I'm no photographer, so most of mine are in that category - and not so creative, either.

I'd like you to persist, Angus, since we need a few Aussies to sort this lot out! Not too many creative Antipodeans to fight the good fight. I'm surrounded by aliens, and if it wasn't for my pointy stick, I'd never get a word in! (Yes, you are SO aliens! I can see your feelers!)

9. Gramps18 January 2012, 0:49 GMT +01:00

Damn colonial's got out of her cage again ! Bad enough that she's got that pointy stick but she has a tin of that soup with her as well.

Don't worry Angus, most of the members are quite sane, it's just us old timers go a bit funny now and then. Do persist for a while, it's well worth it. If it doesn't work out at least you tried :0)

10. Stephen18 January 2012, 10:05 GMT +01:00

If it's possible I think it would be useful for the site to have a section somewhere of rejected images and reasons why the rejection happened, that way people could get a better sense of what's ok and what's not.

Perhaps covering a few of the standard bases eg artifacting, poor focus, poor cropping, etc.

I would be happy to have rejected images of mine that show these problems in such an area. I often find that when I review a rejected image of mine my reaction goes along the lines of:

what the?
come on?
I just worked on that for ages?

Then I take a closer look!

Often it's a case of tweaking, sometimes it's all about working through the difference between the image being rejected and the experience of the image, whether at capture or editing and my personal attachment.

I also learned a good while back, it's stock.

11. crisderaud19 January 2012, 5:45 GMT +01:00

It took me a while of trial and error to final get an eye for what stock photography is.

Once you get it figured out you begin to appreciate good stock images and what it takes to make them.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera